Wiring Smart Thermostat from Old Battery Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice as to how to wire up my new Smart Thermostat (picture 1 below)

PXL_20240330_210329002.jpg PXL_20240330_210420243.jpg
My Old Thermostat has three wires red, blue and yellow( taped red for live) and runs on 3V (see picture 2)

The new Smart Thermostat needs 240V independent for 3 and 4 as it is a dry contact. Just need to know which wires go into 1 and 2. My understanding is that:
blue = neutral wire so not needed so
earth= not needed
red and yellow wires go into 1 and 2?
red in 1
yellow in 2???

Sponsored Links
Yes Com and ON become 1 and 2.

It should be neutral to 3 (N) and a link between 4 (L) and the permanent line but without testing we don't know if that is 1 or 2 so you will need to test. And the old thermostat would work without a neutral [3 (N)] so no guarantee you have a neutral.

I really can't see the point of changing, I made the same mistake, I fitted Nest Gen 3 under the impression it would link to my TRV heads, but found out it did link but it did not accept demands for heat from the TRV heads so it was rather useless.

It may work if you carefully set the TRV heads, the idea is the TRV head sets the room temperature to below the point when the wall thermostat will turn off, so when we get a warm day, the boiler will then shut off and it stops the boiler cycling. The TRV heads connect to phone, so we get a report Report full day.jpgshowing how it has done, and we can set when each room is heated, in my case only 4 of the 9 electronic TRV heads are wifi connected, the other 5 bluetooth only. Times are set on the TRV Tapo-TRV5.jpg all the wall thermostat does is turn off boiler on a warm day.

I did try geofencing, and to be frank it did not really work for me, all that happened was in the storms the EE mast went down and caused my heating to switch off, so it was disabled.

Sponsored Links
Need some advice as to how to wire up my new Smart Thermostat (picture 1 below)

PXL_20240330_210329002.jpg PXL_20240330_210420243.jpg
My Old Thermostat has three wires red, blue and yellow( taped red for live) and runs on 3V (see picture 2)

The new Smart Thermostat needs 240V independent for 3 and 4 as it is a dry contact. Just need to know which wires go into 1 and 2. My understanding is that:
blue = neutral wire so not needed so
earth= not needed
red and yellow wires go into 1 and 2?
red in 1
yellow in 2???
If you think it runs on 3v think again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back