Wiring smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy’s

How do I wire up a smoke alarm in my house using the lighting circuit. I have 2 floors.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How many alarms are you wiring?
Follow the manufacturers instructions for the siting and wiring of the alarm(s).
For one alarm you would take a live, neutral and earth from a ceiling rose for example using 1mm ² T&E and run it to the alarm.
If you have a second alarm then you need to run 1.5mm ² Three core and earth from the first alarm to the second.
Although the earth wire is not required you should ensure its continuity through the last alarm - most alarms now have a 'parking' place for earth wires.

Thanks for the reply
I have 7 smoke head and 1 carbon monoxide and 1 heat
I can understand the heat and carbon monoxide alarm requirement but if this is a residential property then that is a lot of alarms - must be a big house ;)
This link is a little bit old but worth reading:
http://www.denmans.co.uk/downloads_public/aico_product_guide.pdf
By the way I have edited the 3 core and earth wire to 1.5mm ² which seems to be the manufacturers recommended size.

Sponsored Links
:p I have 4bedrooms what do you recommended as i'v been told 1 smoke head in each room and both hallways

Thanks for all your replys

:p I have 4bedrooms what do you recommended as i'v been told 1 smoke head in each room and both hallways
It is down to personal choice - ie one battery operated smoke alarm properly maintained one is better than none.
For rewires I normally fit one in the downstairs hallway and interlink to one on the upstairs landing unless I am asked to fit more.
I believe bedroom fitting are down to whether the door is left open or closed (how you can cater for that I don't know) - so one in each room seems fine to me.
Be advised though that some manufacturers of these alarms limit the number of interlinked alarms or the total distance of the cable. I think with Kiddie have a limit of 9 or 10 but you would need to check with manufacturers instructions.

Research since the Philpott's fire has highlighed that children can sleep through communal fire alarms in the hallway, so having one in each room for them is a must.

There would be nothing left of you to sleep...
You may be forgetting that we're talking about BAS here - he might still be typing away, asking people how they had told LABC that they would satisfy Part P, after the rest of us had been vaporised :)

Kind Regards, John

If you are wiring off of a light make sure you have the live feed not the switched. I normally use 1mm 3 core for smoke alarms. have a look at the Aico website they have a lot of useful information. http://www.aico.co.uk/

We usually fit a heat detector in the kitchen, and in any room with a wood burning stove. Then a smoke within 5m of any bedroom door. And one at the bottom of the stairs. I believe if the property is to be rented out or holiday let then one in each bedroom is also a recommendation.

You may be forgetting that we're talking about BAS here - he might still be typing away, asking people how they had told LABC that they would satisfy Part P, after the rest of us had been vaporised :)
Ah - but will I have the endurance to collect on my insurance?

Ah - but will I have the endurance to collect on my insurance?
That could be moot if there were no-one to collect it from!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back