Wiring sockets - mystery wire....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am asking this here, as the chap that roughed out my electrics in my new extension is on holiday for the next fortnight.

I am connecting the socket face plates in the kitchen.

It is a radial circuit

Each double socket has either a loop (two wires) coming from the wall, or a single wire (end of the run)

Fine

Easy - i can cope with that!

However, one of the boxes has a loop and a single wire protruding from the wall.

It is definitely not one of the isolator switches for appliances. THey are all accounted for.

Any ideas?

My thought is that the loop may be a free end, and that just in the wall it comes to an end. Probably looked fine until they sheeted everything leaving this mystery.

I am loathe to start tugging stuff to see what happens, though..!

Sponsored Links
Possibly a spur.
why not leave it untill you sparks is back off holiday?

What sizes are the conductors? Have you got a photo you could upload?

It will be pure guess work for anyone without at least that and probably with it too

ideally wanted to avoid a two week wait...

so checked here in case there was anything obvious to a seasoned spark.

As it is, i'll probably wait.

It is all 2.5mm, i think

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a spur, say to a socket higher up for a cooker hood or something, but I would advise you wait.
If you HAVE to connect them up, my suggestion would be to safely terminate this rogue cable into a connector, taped up, in the back MAKING SURE it's not exposed. Once thats done you can connect the rest up as normal..
If the cable is a spur then you'll find something not working, but if the cable is a feed or becomes live for any other reason then it would have been made safe. If this does happen, safely isolate and start again etc.

If you do this, however, you MUST remember to get the sparkie to identify this cable and either use or remove it when he returns. Don't jut leave it there.

But I advise you wait :rolleyes:

thanks.

what is confusing me is that all the spur points are identified (washing machine, extractor hood, dishwasher, hob & tumblydryer) and this is a mystery extra one to nowhere, and a pencil mark to say 'double socket' and it is where i asked for it.

.....i'll wait!

sparky had agreed to let me spend the time wirig all sockets and switches, but leave all the face plates hanging loose for him to inspect prior to screwing the face plates in.

but, i'll wait on this one!

my latest opinion on this is that as this is a radial circuit, and this is a central socket near the main run, the cable from the CU arrives here, and there is a wire off to the left, and a wire off to the right, hence three wires

make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back