wiring two light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum,

I hope to get some help with wiring of two new light fittings off an existing switched wiring point.

The existing wiring point powers two light fittings and two shaver sockets already. I've uploaded an image showing showing the wiring as they look at the moment. This installation works (as the electrician installed it 6 months ago).

What I'm trying to do is to wire up two additional light fittings. They are as simple as they come, each powering a 60W incandescent light strip. I've uploaded an image of the fitting with and one without the cover on.

Believing that this was a simple exercise, I simple stripped down a flex cable and added a blue wire to the blue wire cluster at the existing wiring head and connected it to one of two screw connections on the new fittings. I did the same with the red wire. Now, there was no third screw connection for the yellow/green wire, so I simply did not wire this up. I then put the power back on and flicked the switch thinking that the new fittings would light up. In stead one blew the lamp and the other simply didn't light up.

I've now disconnected both and am stuck with no lead as to what went wrong. I'm aware that my description makes me sound clueless, which unfortunately is exactly how I feel on this subject. (I do however know about zoning in wetrooms so don't need info on this in relation to this non-IPrated fitting)

Thank you for reading this far and for commenting if you can see the obvious errors I'm making.

Sponsored Links
I feel a little uneasy about this.

That lampholder is the sort that you find on some 60w striplights, there are two on each fitting, since one lamp has two such plugs on it. Now, because of this, each socket only needs one core to it. One live and one neutral.

And because of the design of the socket, it MUST have a safety cutout switch on the fitting, so that when no lamp is inserted, there is no power to the sockets.

I think you are doing something very very wrong.

Though I may be wrong, that socket may be found elsewhere.

Here is my fitting:

Clearly if this lamp were inserted with your wiring, there would simply be a short circuit and the fuse would blow / MCB trip.

And you can clearly see the safety switches between the two sockets.

LINESTRA® linear lamps
Decorative free-burning light source with tungsten filament. Effective clear
tube or classic matt. Warm glare-free and 100 % dimmable bright light.
Elegant design for versatile use indoors. Also ideal for use on commercial
premise such as restaurants and shops.
That is about all I can find on them seems designed for bathrooms but nothing as to how connected. At first I thought it was a florescent lamp but when I found I was wrong could only find how to modify entry not how to delete.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both your replies... It doesn't seem as if there is a solution to this quite yet, though. The holder and lamp has been bought on the below webpage:

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&t=324&r=396&i=3597&a=1

When I bought it 6 months back the electrician installed a number of 120W double socket fittings as well and it is exactly the same lamp holder used for the single socket lamps. Perhaps it is a mistake - perhaps they should have delivered a different type lapholder for the single socket lamp?

In any case, I know of the linestra and of the Nimbus spiegelleuchte
(http://www.architonic.com/1032440), both good looking and fairly pricey lampholders for this lamp. Before spending another £250 I would be happier knowing that the single lampholder I have now is not possible to wire up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back