Wiring two single sockets side by side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a two single sockets side by side, one is a ring main with two spurs coming off it, one to the single socket directly next to it (double flush backbox) and another to a double socket a few metres away.

I don't see this being much different from a ring main double socket with an additional double socket spurred from it, other than two single sockets side by side looking odd. But just wanted to double check there were no safety concerns!
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
From what you describe would it not be easy to rewire the two single sockets to be on the ring, and just leave one spur, or replace them with a twin socket? (You'd need to replace the back box and do a bit of making good.)

If you read the question properly, that is what he's proposing.

I have read it properly.

He's not proposing to do anything.

You need a dose of your own medicine ;)

Sponsored Links
That is the purpose of his post, but I guess you can probably recover a 'win' on semantics, this forum is your kingdom after all.

So you have a RFC with a socket on the RFC spurring a single socket and the same single socket is spurring another double socket a few metres away.
This is not a good set up. You have two spurs from one socket, this is not recommended.
Hi All,
I don't see this being much different from a ring main double socket with an additional double socket spurred from it, other than two single sockets side by side looking odd. But just wanted to double check there were no safety concerns!
Thanks,
It is not the same though, you have a two spurred socket outlet and what distance is a few metres?

That is the purpose of his post, but I guess you can probably recover a 'win' on semantics, this forum is your kingdom after all.
Well - I'm not trying to score points or anything - I genuinely don't read his post as even implying he might change it, simply that he'd found what he described and wanted to know if it was OK.

If you can afford to lose the single socket then change if for a fused spur, that way, assuming everything else is fine then it'll be compliant.

Just re-read. Is it a dual backbox, as in two singles within the same backbox?
If so then I think BAS covered the solution.

If it is a dual back
Then you have a number of options:
*Extend the ring final within the back box so both single sockets complete the RFC, then the existing double socket that is spurred is compliant.
*Lose the single socket that has been spurred from RFC and replace with FCU to protect the double socket that has been spurred, this is then compliant and additional sockets can be added to this part of the spur but you are limited to a maximum 13A load.
*Replace dual back box with double back boxes and install double socket outlet on the RFC and the spurred existing double socket from this new double socket outlet is compliant. A little more worked required with this one and also some remedial work to the wall will be required.

If it is a dual back
Then you have a number of options:
*Extend the ring final within the back box so both single sockets complete the RFC, then the existing double socket that is spurred is compliant.
*Lose the single socket that has been spurred from RFC and replace with FCU to protect the double socket that has been spurred, this is then compliant and additional sockets can be added to this part of the spur but you are limited to a maximum 13A load.
*Replace dual back box with double back boxes and install double socket outlet on the RFC and the spurred existing double socket from this new double socket outlet is compliant. A little more worked required with this one and also some remedial work to the wall will be required.
Hi, thanks for all the replies - sorry to highlight just one.
It is indeed a backbox as pictured above, fitting a new back box is not an option at the moment. I had thought about fitting an FCU and it sounds like the most straight forward rout unless I misunderstood point #1
Thanks,

You have 2 x 2.5mm² t&e cables entering the dual backbox, take one to single socket 1 and the other 2 single socket 2. Also connect a short length of 2.5mm² between single socket 1 and single socket 2. You now have both single sockets on the ring final, assuming you do actually have a ring final.

Now the twin socket can be connected to either single socket 1 or single socket 2, it doesn't matter which. You now have 1 spur off the ring final.

You have 2 x 2.5mm² t&e cables entering the dual backbox, take one to single socket 1 and the other 2 single socket 2. Also connect a short length of 2.5mm² between single socket 1 and single socket 2. You now have both single sockets on the ring final, assuming you do actually have a ring final.

Now the twin socket can be connected to either single socket 1 or single socket 2, it doesn't matter which. You now have 1 spur off the ring final.
Fantastic thanks for the clarification - didn't think it could be as simple as that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back