Wiring up 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a new brass 3-switch switch, wrote down where the old ones were but new one has additional holes and now I can't get it to work.

Have a ceiling and 2 wall lights ceiling is OK it is the walls that don't work. Have tried various combination and am now in a muddle so help is required.

Have one red, one black and 2 brown cables coming into the socket, there was then another 2 brown cables that are looped together which were in the terminal holes.

New plug has along the top row
Common, 1way, 2 way, common
bottom row
1way, 2way, common,1way 2way.

Which cables go where so that I can get all 3 lights working.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Try to imagine the three switches being placed in three triangles, with the way up being alternated, so the first common on the top goes with the first 1W and 2W on the bottom. The 1W and 2W on the top then go with the common on the bottom, and you can work out the rest.....

If you're old switches were 1-way rather than 2-way (i.e two terminals) then you just need to reconnect so that permanent lives go to common, and switched lives come out of the new 1-way terminals.

This is a guess, so don't blame me if it goes pop, but I would hazard.....

C1 1W2 2W2 C3

1W1 2W1 C2 1W3 2W3

red wire to C1

black wire to 1W1

brown to 1W2

brown to 1W3

brown link wires from C1 to C2 to C3

BTW, you have a mix of old and new colours, which should be noted on your CU

Actually - How was your old one wired up ?? Saves me guessing.....

Sponsored Links
Oops forgot to say, diagram of wiring is in another house, will let you know how it was wired if this doesn't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back