Wiring up a Wall Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please on wiring up a wall light to a single light switch.

I am decorating at the moment and would like to bury the wires into the wall and plaster over them.

I am going to get an electrician to connect it all together but I want to do all the legwork myself.

I've attached a picture on how I would lay out the wires and would like to know if this is correct?

Attachments

• iOS Image - 1207523995.jpg
    iOS Image - 1207523995.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 223
Sponsored Links
You have to use 3 core cable, not the 2 core you have shown. Do you know about safe zones?

I was going to buy 1.5mm twin & earth cable BUT there isn't any earth on the light fitting!

Yes I know a bit about safe zone, like if it's near a water source, IP ratings, etc....

I was going to Earth the box metal box as it has a earth block on it but the light fitting doesn't.
iOS Image - 2040081137.jpg

Worthwhile finding out more about safe zones.
Run twin and earth cable. The earth conductor does not connect to anything at the light fitting ,just terminate it there in an insulated connector block.

Sponsored Links
I was going to buy 1.5mm twin & earth cable BUT there isn't any earth on the light fitting!

Yes I know a bit about safe zone, like if it's near a water source, IP ratings, etc....

I was going to Earth the box metal box as it has a earth block on it but the light fitting doesn't.
BUT, in the future someone might want to replace the fitting with one which does need earthing. Hence, you must install an earth wire, in case it is needed in the future.

My understanding of "Safe Zones" in this context is that the wiring must go horizontally or vertically from/to fittings but not diagonally.
(I am sure that Winston will give you further advice, if necessary.)

Why are you feeding it from the consumer unit?

It would be more usual to pick L, N and E from an existing lighting circuit.

I will have to read up more on safe zone.

There is nothing behind these wall, like sockets, etc.

I will leave about a meter of extra wire for the electrician.

I using 20mm plastic conduct to plaster over.

If it's wrong, I guess I'll be starting it all over again!!

Attachments

• iOS Image - 642359062.jpg
    iOS Image - 642359062.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 204
  • iOS Image - 3288946609.jpg
    iOS Image - 3288946609.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 200

I was going to Earth the box metal box as it has a earth block on it but the light fitting doesn't.View attachment 172704

You don't need 1.5 mm, but you do need the earth even if the current fitting does not need it.

Buy 1.0mm twin and earth cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back