Wiring up an extractor fan

The age of the board would suggest that when fitted, circuits did not require RCD protection even the ones that are.
It took a couple attempts to reset but it did trip immediately?
You very likely would not find a replacement BS4293 but it could be possible to alter things that would allow you to use the same board but with updated devices. If you wanted that is? Or you could opt for a new board.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
I believe the board is circa 1988.

It did not trip out at all. After wiring up the fan everything was running fine, he was packing up his tools and I was folding up the dust sheets
and he wanted to show me the circuit breaker he had installed it on and then he pressed the "T" button on the RCD to show me what would happen if it tripped out. When he flicked the switch up it came back down and it took him a couple of attempts for the switch to stay on.
It has not tripped out since and has been installed for 2 days.

Money is very tight so I am hoping there will not be any problems. An alteration would cost less I am sure but not sure if this electrician would want to do that.

I did get a reply from CEF
"This unit is obsolete and has been for some time. You would need to replace the complete board".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back