wiring up electric hob and separate oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm having a new kitchen fitted along with new induction hob and separate oven. My question is, can the two appliance be on the same switch on the consumer box? Also, The appliance are about 3 metres away from each other, can i have both on one switch or can i effectively 'spur' one appliance from the lead which is going to the other appliance?

Some facts:

Induction hob - 7.2KW
Oven - 5.5KW

And another question (sorry), is 6mm cabling ok? Also, the kitchen supplier says 32amp switch is ok, is that the case? Not 45amp?

Sponsored Links
Hello.
How is the 6mm cable run (through >100mm insulation)??
and how long is the 'run' please ?

One supply 'can' feed two cookers, (if all is correct).
The isolator must be within 2M of each cooker.

After allowing for maximum demand and diversity the ratings of your 'cookers' comes out at 30.56A. This does not include you having a socket outlet at the isolator.If you do, then you are over your 32A.

Hope this helps.

Ed

not sure how the cabling is run. All in the wall at the moment. The existing cooker socket needs to be moved as its in the way of where the hob will go. So was aiming for approximately o.5m away. The oven is then further down the same wall 3m away.

Distance to consumer unit is approximately 7m (if thats what you mean?!)

Hi,

As I said, the (isolator) 'cooker switch' must be within 2M of each cooker, and in your case NOT have a socket incorporated.
So long as there is not over 100mm of insulation in the cable 'run' then 6mm should be ok over 7M @ 30A.

If its only 7M and you are having your kitchen ripped out etc, then now could be an ideal time to run a new 10mm cable ???

Ed

Sponsored Links
no one has asked the obvious question..

is your "kitchen fitter" doing the electrics?

if so then he'll take care of all the necesary calculations and install it to the current edition of the regs and certify it all for you....

if not then you really should get a part P registered electrician in..

or notify the LABC and DIY if you must...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back