Wiring up extractor fan without double pole FCU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post on this site.

I am about to install a timed extractor fan in my bathroom to outside wall and was about to commence with the (highly) reccommended FCU situated outside the bathroom. Before doing this, I realised I already have a double socket wired up in the loft.
Would it be safe to use this socket for the fan? I was thinking about running it straight to a second pull cord in the bathroom, then to the fan, with the permanent live coming from a junction box before the pull switch.

Would it be OK to class this second pull switch as an isolator, and what what cable is best for this?

Sponsored Links
why have two pull cords in the bathroom and why not have the timer starting with the light switch being pulled on, the switch would not be classed as an isolator especially given it should be switched live. A three pole will be required for the timer to operate.

Thanks for your quick replies Chivers and 17th. Firstly, I am trying to avoid as much wall installation as possible, i.e the fused switch, as the walls in my house are made of bloody sand. This is why I was trying to bypass the FCU. I thought it would be OK to run the L and N straight from the socket as it has a 3 amp fuse in it. This would go to a DP pull switch then to fan. It looks to me to do exactly the same thing as the FCU circuit.

The fan is 230V - 50Hz and is to be wall mounted directly opposite the door. In this fashion, I would only need a few metres of cable.

Wouldn't the fan operate ok? I am not carving this idea in stone, and I agree that it would be better to use the original FCU idea, it's just the old plaster is a phooking nightmare to work with.

Sponsored Links
you need to put a fused spur in but it need not be double pole, 3 core and earth from junction one to provide switching the other gives a permanebt live to the fan for the over run

Wouldn't the fan operate ok?

Two lives - one permanent fed from a three pole switch/fcu is the norm otherwise the timer will only work with the pull cord which makes it pointless

AA3PSW.JPG
[/quote]

Ok lads, thanks for your info. I'll go with the FCU/light switch circuit after all. And I'll probably swear alot.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back