Wiring up pir security light to 12 volts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
does anyone know if it is possible to connect or adapt a 240v pir security light to 12 volts. I know it would mean adapting the bulb fitting but would 12volts activate the pir sensor to switch it on.
I ask because i would like to install one on a narrowboat, although we have a 240v supply this is limited to around 6amps/1000watts and i would prefer to use the 12v system.
I have looked around the internet to see if a 12v one is available but with no luck.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
comms said:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3133.htm

This unit appears to have an output designed to provide a logic signal or MAYBE drive a small relay. The data sheet quotes a 10K ohm load resistance and in the picture there does not appear to be any power switching device that would be capable of switching a lamp.

Check with Quasar, they may have a module that will interface this unit to a lamp using a relay.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
from what i can see standard alarm ones are happy on 12V:
like this one but you might be able to get away with driving a relay directly from the PIR as its output is switched on a small relay rather than a logic output (i wouldnt trust the internal relay to power anything directly it will only be small).

wondadust said:
Hi
does anyone know if it is possible to connect or adapt a 240v pir security light to 12 volts. I know it would mean adapting the bulb fitting but would 12volts activate the pir sensor to switch it on.
I ask because i would like to install one on a narrowboat, although we have a 240v supply this is limited to around 6amps/1000watts and i would prefer to use the 12v system.
I have looked around the internet to see if a 12v one is available but with no luck.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Not without modifying the PIR aswell internally, ie bypassing any Power supply transformer or voltage dropping circuitry internally within the PIR and is best left to those that understand electronics so if in doubt, i'd suggest looking for a 12volt pre built unit.

tim west said:
Not without modifying the PIR aswell internally, ie bypassing any Power supply transformer or voltage dropping circuitry internally within the PIR and is best left to those that understand electronics so if in doubt, i'd suggest looking for a 12volt pre built unit.

It can be done.

Unfortunately the voltage in the majority of PIR detectors is between 18 to 24 volts with a relay operating around 15 volts. The sensor does work at 12 volt but with reuced sensitivity and a relay change is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back