Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B5A64290-AB6A-4103-975A-BE358FF3F9B2.jpeg
Hi there. I redone my bathroom and I wanted to know whether or not this is correctly wired? This switch is a double switch, one for the lights in the bathroom and one for the cooling fan. Isn’t there meant to be an earth wire!?!?! Also the cooler fan has stopped working for some weird reason. I have checked the terminals and they all tight, still doesn’t work.

Sponsored Links
The Earth wires in the cables need to be connected together and if that switch has a metallic front plate then that front plate must be earthed.

That is essential for the safety of anyone who touches that switch. ( humidity is a bath room can result in the back of the switch becoming damp )

The Earth wires in the cables need to be connected together and if that switch has a metallic front plate then that front plate must be earthed.

That is essential for the safety of anyone who touches that switch. ( humidity is a bath room can result in the back of the switch becoming damp )
Ok thats fine. It is a metallic switch. It hasn’t been earthed and there is a slot for the earth wire. The switch socket is outside of the bathroom, not inside. Also do you know why the cooling fan has stopped working? It doesn’t switch on, the terminals are tight and I have also made sure the actual fan is on by pulling the string, still doesn’t turn on!

Either the fan has failed,the switch has failed,or the wiring to the fan isn't intact. Testing for voltages present at each point would indicate which. If the fan has a transformer supplying it ,that's another possibility. What fan is it, make / model ?
Your earthing needs immediate attention.

Sponsored Links
Either the fan has failed,the switch has failed,or the wiring to the fan isn't intact. Testing for voltages present at each point would indicate which. If the fan has a transformer supplying it ,that's another possibility. What fan is it, make / model ?
Your earthing needs immediate attention.
A cooling fan like this:
49141C90-400F-46C0-B6B7-930678BC45EE.png

Fans don’t cool. They move the air about and actually heat it from the electrical energy they consume.
Mate I think I am well aware of how fans operate. I have a hot air heater and a cold air fan so it dries up the bathroom if you don't want to open the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back