Wishful Thinking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 180ft long 8ft wide driveway, which is bounded by a 7ft high wall one side and a 6ft fence the other. I recently installed some lighting at various intervals along the drive and almost immediately they started getting vandalised.

I am now looking to install a basic CCTV system to try to catch the offenders but am wondering if I am hoping for too much.

The furthest light is about 50m from the house. I have seen that you can get night vision cameras that will work at this range but I have the lights set to come on via a PIR. This means that, if someone comes up the drive the camera would have to cope with seeing down the drive, through 4 light sources into the more dimly lit area beyond.

Realistically, am I going to be able to get any sort of face recognition in these conditions and if so can anyone recommend a camera that will work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You wont get much with a basic cctv system, infact as you mention your existing lights will hinder, not help

In order to be able to identify some one their face needs to be big on the screen, you can do that by either zooming in them with a zoom lens or have a camera close by.

If you had one camera at this end if it had a wide angle lens it could only see a dot at the other end

Like wise if it was a long focal length lens it could enable you to count the sweat beads of any one, but would see nothing if some one was close to this end

zoom is expensive and so that leaves you with a camera close by.

as you have multiple lights you are going to need multiple cameras.

why not put the lights on a pole (then pay him hourly) with an anti climb paint and a plastic light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back