Wishing for a boys room away from the wife...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I wanted to have built a full width outhouse at the back of my garden to use as an office/boys room/summer house.

It would need to be insulated and have electricity coming from the main house and maybe even water and a cloakroom.

I don't mind wether its a flat room or pitched roof though would prefer a pitched roof. Just wondering whether you guys have

a) an idea of what this might cost (I pay London pricess)
b) any tips on how to save on costs e.g use breeze blocks and still have a nice, warm outhouse
c) know of issues or areas that need to be considered or are essential e.g. regulations, foundations etc
d) which bits I could do myself (I am a competent DIYer with very little time)
e) etc etc

Basically any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would say that you’ve got far too many variables to put any sort of price onto the work. The size will be one of the most significant things in determining the price you pay.

No matter how good you are at diy, if you haven’t got time to do it then you’re going to end up paying someone else to do it all.

You will need to consider the planning regs in your area & get planning permission if you are going to build a permanent structure too.

You may be better off with a full sized wooden summer house and just do some work to the inside to improve the insulation.

Also, you can get self-erect self-contained office buildings nowadays (Garden Offices they're called) which might suit your needs – even places like B&Q, Screwfix, etc sell them. Looking at £4-5k for a basic or £6-8k for a top spec one of those.

Will definitely look into the garden office thing.

I was under the impression that if the building was more than 5 metres away from the main house and not taller than it planning permission would be required. I'm holping it wont.

I see that I need to flesh out my requirements a bit more. Pen and paper and the old thinking cap is required methinks..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back