Wisteria removal chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have to cut down a wisteria plant which is about 12 inches across the base, it then rises up about 4 foot and wraps itself around a 2x2 at this point. I was going to cut it across the bottom first and then do the top before it wraps itself around with the chainsaw. Can anyone see any problems doing it this way or is there a better way of doing it. Not used the chainsaw for a while so want to be very safe with it.

Sponsored Links
Might be safer to cut top first so the base limits movement, especially if your cutting with a chainsaw

Blup

I was thinking if i cut top first, then when I cut bottom full weight of it will be on chainsaw unless I don't cut all way through and finish with bow saw

Sponsored Links
Also, are you going to remove the root so that something else goes there. A bit of trunk helps with the leverage to rock the root a little looser.

It's a neighbour's and he just wants to leave a stump at bottom.

I was thinking if i cut top first, then when I cut bottom full weight of it will be on chainsaw
That is not how I (a DIY-er) would cut something with a chainsaw.

First I would cut out a wedge (a third to 40% of the way through the diameter) on the side towards which you want the trunk to fall. Then I'd make a horizontal cut opposite the wedge cut, stopping as soon as the trunk starts moving, at that stage you want to be aware of kick-back when it does come down. Finally I would make very small cuts in the horizontal cut, and when it starts moving step well back.

Wisteria wraps itself around things, most likely it is not going to fall.

Mike13, that's exactly what it's done, would put a picture on here but it's not on my property. Stephenoak I agree but because it's wrapped itself around a 2x2 it's a bit different.

You might still want wedge cuts as you do not know of the gap is going to close or open. best done where the stem splits to smaller branches and then trim off the stump down to a height agreeable to you neighbour.
Wisteria makes a wonderful display, it will be a shame to lose it, but if it is taking over the property then it must be done

Thanks @Mike13. I will see if I can get the neighbour to agree to me putting a picture on here.

It's a shame there isn't a photo as i can't see why he'd want to cut it down rather than cutting it back if it's interfering with a building. I'd take @StephenOak 's advice and leave the chainsaw in the shed.

Neighbour is getting to an age where it will become too much for them to deal with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back