What's the best/easiest saw for going through tree roots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Leylandi hedge (15 trees) that is trimmed to about 5 feet high although the trunks are getting quite fat (6 inches or so). I'm sure the roots are getting close to underground pipes. So, I want to remove the hedge with minimum physical effort on my part ! I don't want the risk that comes with a chainsaw and a manual saw is just hard work.

So what would you guys recommend as suitable for the job? I am looking to lop off the hedge just above ground level and then dig out a foot or so around each trunk and then cut out the roots. I don't need to get it all out as I will just fill in on top with bark & plants. As it's a one-off job I don't want to spend a fortune or I could just get a man in ! Hiring a tool is a possibility too I guess.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
p4192551_x.jpg

And once its down to ground level with the bow saw, if there is room for access hire of get in somewone with a stump grinder.

Jason

Sponsored Links
And all purpose/reciprocating saw with a pruning blade - Ryobi one+ cordless would be ideal.

And an angle grinder and Arbortech blade for grinding the stump

if you saw off the trunk at about your height, you can use it as a lever. pull and push it and the roots will loosen, you may even be able to pull it out once you have seen the biggest roots and sawn them off. If you are working in the ground a pruning saw (not a bowsaw) is esier to use.

if you saw off the trunk at about your height, you can use it as a lever. pull and push it and the roots will loosen, you may even be able to pull it out once you have seen the biggest roots and sawn them off. If you are working in the ground a pruning saw (not a bowsaw) is esier to use.
Thanks - but I forgot to say thatthe hedge is between 2 house's driveways which are tarmac'd up to 6" either side - so no real chance of working the roots through that gap.

John

1st and best option is a stump grinder. you can hire them out for about £60 a day and it will take them out in no time.

failing that if you dig down they will cut easily with a sharp felling axe, or if the space is restricted we use a folding handsaw (but a decent one like a felco)

pulling out the stumps is going to damage the adjacent tarmac, so I can see why he has decided to cut them off.

Removing roots can be a real pain. You will have to dig out quite a way to get a bushman saw in, the dirt will destroy chain or other saw blades very quickly, and there's always a huge root or two that goes straight down that can't be reached. As yours are not too large I would chop off the roots you can see, with an axe or similar, and then use the trunk to lever the root out (as has been suggested). Or get someone to level them off with a stump grinder, which should be almost as cheap as hiring one, and far less effort and danger and less damage to the tarmac (but stump grinders are heavy).

cut them off at ground (or just above) ground level then drill into the stump with a large diameter auger or hole cutting bit as deep as you can, fill the holes with rock salt and cover over the stump with a plastic bag and elastic band.

They should rot out fairly quickly.

If you want to cut the roots and don't want to use a chainsaw or a stump grinder, you will have to cut them with a mattock. There's no way round the physical effort: it will build your muscles up, and give you blisters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back