Chainsaw adjuster failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Lidl chainsaw for about 4 years and only used it once ir twice a year for cutting logs. The chain tensioner mechanism just fell to bits - there is a spiral slot with a peg running in the slot and as you turn the adjuster, the spiral/peg system pushes the bar to tension the chain. The mechanism is made of aluminium or similar base metal that just cracked and broke where the peg is.

Is this a common failure of these "tool less" adjusters ? I notice very similar chainsaws crop up under all sorts of brands
What mechanisms do the quality chainsaws use ?

Sponsored Links
Quality saws have screw thread adjusters that allow a peg that locates in the chain bar, to move forward and back courtesy of a screw driver slot on the front of the machine.
Its a tad more fiddly than some, but more or less fool proof.
If you want the ultimate in plastic adjusters, the Ryobi 4040 is the one for you..... :p
John :)

Its hard to say without a photo but I think the OP is describing the type which is adjusted through the bar clamp plate (across the axis of the machine) against the screw slot which is in line with the chain bar.
Both methods can be a success, but cheap machines may use a plastic nut clamping device, and a plastic knurled adjuster that you revolve by hand to slide the chain bar out.
Ghastly!
John :)

Sponsored Links
OK I've concluded that the "tool-less" adjusters are not as good as the simple screw and peg. The mechanism is more complicated and prone to failure. Furthermore, the mechanism sits in the middle of the bar clamp so the clamping action has to hold 2 plates as well as the bar and there is more chance of slippage.

So the very thing they market i.e. "tool-less" adjustment as the feature is the point of failure, IMHO and experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back