With no functioning RCD, does/did a TT electrode achieve anything?

It's not impossible. Even sub-1 Ohm isn't impossible.
Are you talking about just the TT electrode, or the complete fault loop impedance? If the latter, whether 5Ω, let alone <1Ω, is 'possible' obviously depends upon the impedance of the electrode at the transformer end. I don't know what range of impedance those electrodes have, but I seem to recall that the late-lamented westie used to tell us that DNOs aimed for <10Ω.
The last TT installation I did the impedance was 8.77 Ohms. The one before that was around 40 Ohms.
Are you talking about ('standard') single domestic earth rods? If so, albeit my experience is limited, I've never seen one remotely as low as 8.77Ω.

Of course, as for the in-service loop impedances that matter, they obviously depend crucially upon any bonded extraneous-c-ps. As I've often described, although my TT electrode is usually 50Ω-75Ω (depending upon soil conditions), the loop impedance at the origin of my installation is about 0.25Ω with main bonding connected, thanks to bonded metal water pipes which, I suspect/presume, are also main-bonded to my neighbour's TN-C-S 'earth'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This again! It rather annoys me, and I can't but feel that there must be some way of 'taming' the software!
upload_2020-7-30_3-1-26.png

I am considering how I got 8Ω, I used a paddies motorcycle, not the sort of thing you find in an electricians tool kit, I would guess a 4 pound lump hammer, so it would require multi rods to get below 5 Ω or some metal laid in a hole, the problem laying metal in a hole you don't know the resistance until back filled and had time to settle. It would have been rather hit and miss.

I am considering how I got 8Ω ...
Again, are you talking about the impedance of the rod(s) or of the EFLI?
... I used a paddies motorcycle ...
:?:
... I would guess a 4 pound lump hammer, so it would require multi rods to get below 5 Ω or some metal laid in a hole, the problem laying metal in a hole you don't know the resistance until back filled and had time to settle.
... and, again, not something one would find in any ordinary domestic installation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Paddies motorcycle, band-jack, road-breaker, a petrol engine which makes a piston go up/down and a adaptor with a cup to fit earth road. And was testing resistance to earth with the long cables and probes, when they were being fitted only power was from little generators. As to earth fault loop impedance once on line the site had something like a 2 MW gas turbine generator and grid power, and a massive resistor to connect grid earth to site earth. Only time I have ever seen resistors connecting two earth systems.

I seem to remember using an SDS drill set to hammer only with domestic earth rods, I have fitted two, but no more with domestic, but houses don't tend to be built on sand dunes like the gas terminal, water drained very fast at Point of Aye.

When being built the colliery was still being used, so the flare stack had to be away from the colliery towards the village, before the gas terminal went on line the colliery closed, but by that time flare stack was built, the idea was if there was a fire the gas coming in would be burnt off safely, and there were fire sensors everywhere, the locals knew this, but caravan site users did not, so there is a thunder storm, a large flash of lighting sets off the fire alarm and gas is diverted automatic to flare stack until people on site can reset everything.

So the caravan users set a flash of lighting followed by a massive flame from the flare stack, panic is an understatement.

Paddies motorcycle, band-jack, road-breaker, a petrol engine which makes a piston go up/down and a adaptor with a cup to fit earth road.
So that would be a petrol-powered equivalent of what I would probably call a "pneumatic hammer" (with an appropriate adapter for the rod)?

Kind Regards, John

Interesting - when did the local electricity board stop doing the inspections on domestic installations?
Norweb were still doing inspections in 1986. Not sure when they stopped.

Bristol DNO (not sure which one - SWEB?) did an inspection on a rewire I did there in 1997. But at that time, they were only interested in IR testing the tails up to the main switch.

Bristol DNO (not sure which one - SWEB?) did an inspection on a rewire I did there in 1997. But at that time, they were only interested in IR testing the tails up to the main switch.
If we/re taling about standard tails (singles, and exposed and visible for their entire length (except where they enter enclosures), I can't help but wonder what on earth scenarios they could have been considering which could result in a sub-'infinity' IR test result!

Kind Regards, John

He is a real life example.

He thought there was no earth. So he got the dno out to fit one.

There are 2
Previous videos

Of an install with no rcd.
And earth from main water pipe.
Earth resistance considered poor
Only just being removed this month along with lead cable from the light circuit!

Of an install with no rcd. ... And earth from main water pipe. ... Earth resistance considered poor
As I've asked before (indeed, in the title of this thread), if there is no RCD (or VOELCB), what is the significance of having a 'poor earth resistance'?

The lack of any protection against L-CPC faults obviously needs to be addressed - and once that is done, then the adequacy of the earth connection becomes important - albeit it theoretically only has to be less than 7,667Ω (at 230V) to be 'adequate' for a 30mA RCD.

Kind Regards, John

I've been lurking on this site for some years (thanks to all for the info!) without being brave enough to post - but this thread is fascinating in terms of the way that earthing is thought of with its primary purpose as operating a safety device (RCDs, fuses, MCBs ELCBs etc). Maybe its through having a different background but could an earth not be considered as a safety feature in it's own right; especially as earthing was introduced before more sophisticated devices were widely available?

It is 1930 and I have just turned out the gas mantle for the last time; its summer and I no longer have to set a fire for a bath, I'm using my new immersion heater; there is no company-supplied earth, but I have connected the heater's case to an earth rod for safety (the hemp-and-red-lead plumbing joints to the hot water system are high resistance) Early manufacturing techniques are not perfected and a fault has developed putting the neutral end of the element in contact with the case. (Fault marked F on diagram)

In this fault situation it would be my hope that the TT earth I had provided would do two things: firstly, bring the potential of the heater case and associated plumbing down towards earth, and secondly to limit any electric shock received as a result of touching live metalwork by providing an alternative route to earth which has a lower impedance than a person.

Assuming a (dry) person has a resistance of 50 000 ohms and my TT earth is 50 ohms, even if a second fault occurs and the neutral is lost, of the 8A drawn by the heater, only 8mA would pass through the unfortunate person encountering faulty new technology. Given the simplicity of an earth rod, would it not have been a worthwhile and inexpensive safety measure in its own right at a time when electricity was new?

I've been lurking on this site for some years (thanks to all for the info!) without being brave enough to post - ...
Welcome (as a contributor!) to the forum. One doesn't need to be brave to post - if you're worried about "making a fool of yourself", most of us here are capable of doing that from time to time, so you'd be in good company!
...but this thread is fascinating in terms of the way that earthing is thought of with its primary purpose as operating a safety device (RCDs, fuses, MCBs ELCBs etc). Maybe its through having a different background but could an earth not be considered as a safety feature in it's own right; especially as earthing was introduced before more sophisticated devices were widely available?
That's the very reason why I started this thread because, unless I'm missing something, the short/simple answer would seem to be that (provided only that any required bonding is in place), in the absence of some sort of protective device which could operate as as result of current flowing to earth, I can't see that having a TT earth does represent a significant "safety feature in its own right" - which is why I was a bit confused because I thought (like you) that TT earths pre-dated the appearance of VOELCBs (which, themselves, obviously pre-dated RCDs/RCBOs).
.... I'm using my new immersion heater; there is no company-supplied earth, but I have connected the heater's case to an earth rod for safety (the hemp-and-red-lead plumbing joints to the hot water system are high resistance) Early manufacturing techniques are not perfected and a fault has developed putting the neutral end of the element in contact with the case. (Fault marked F on diagram).
I don't know what diagram you are referring to (did you think you had posted one?), but nor do I understand why you are talking about a faults between neutral of the element and it's case. If the neutral end of the element is still connected to the supply neutral, then it (hence the case, given the fault) will be at close to earth potential, as will everything else connected to the installation's earthing system, with or without a connected earth rod. The worrying situation to consider is surely that of the live/line end of the element developing a fault to the case?
Assuming a (dry) person has a resistance of 50 000 ohms and my TT earth is 50 ohms, even if a second fault occurs and the neutral is lost, of the 8A drawn by the heater, only 8mA would pass through the unfortunate person encountering faulty new technology.
For a start, 50,000Ω is a very high figure for body resistance to be working with. It varies widely, dependent on many factors, but even when the areas of contact are dry skin, it can be as low as 1,000Ω - and that is a (not 'worst case', but 'fairly bad case') figure commonly used for such calculations. The calculation you have done is flawed, anyway (se below) but, even if it wasn't, using a more realistic 'bad case' estimate of body resistance would turn your 8 mA into 400 mA - which (depending on the current path through the body) is very likely to be fatal.

You've confused things a bit by introducing the second fault of a 'lost neutral'. As above, if the neutral is not lost (as, obviously, it usually won't be), your neutral-case fault would not represent a significant hazard, since the neutral, hence case, would be at close to earth potential.

If (playing along with your scenario) there were a 'lost neutral' (as well as the other fault), then there would not be 8A flowing through your heater (and the earth rod), anyway, since, even if the heater element had zero resistance, the most that could flow through a 50Ω earth rod would be 4.6A with a 230v supply, or 5A with a 250V supply.

I'm guessing that your "8A" probably relates to a 2kW element running off a 250V supply. If so, that represents a resistance/impedance of 31.25Ω. The total resistance of element+rod would therefore be 81.25Ω (50+31.25), so that, with a 250V supply, about 3A would flow through both of them. That means that the 'earth rod' (and element casing), would be at about 150V above earth potential, and a person with a 1,000Ω body resistance touching that and some 'true earth' would end up with about 150 mA flowing through them - again, potentially plenty to kill.

If one considers the more worrying live/line-case fault (and no lost neutral :) ), that 150V would rise to nearly 250V, and the voltage through the ("1,000Ω") person would rise to nearly 250 mA.
Given the simplicity of an earth rod, would it not have been a worthwhile and inexpensive safety measure in its own right at a time when electricity was new?
It would, if it would have achieved anything significant - but, as above, my belief is that it would not have done. Others may disagree, but no-one has voiced any disagreement yet!

Of course, this is an academic discussion because, now, one would (should!) not have a TT installation without RCD/RCBO protection.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back