Wokeism strikes again

If you actually look at the origin of the word it was a term conjured to recognise those that can mix with high society. It was to describe those with proportional limbs to there size.

I'm with motorbiking, I'm more than happy to call those who have dwarfism a dwarf or little person/people, and not midget.

My point of this thread is that midget has changed its meaning over time to also mean objects that are small.

I don't think it needs to be wiped from society and "cancelled" more just don't use it to describe a particular group of people as requested.
You can adopt any origin you prefer, however it suits your narrative.
Definition of midget

1: something (such as an animal) much smaller than usual
2 sometimes offensive : a very small person and especially one of unusually small size
Yet you're upset because a shop decided to drop the name for something more suitable. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Oh my God, someone feels that the use of a word is offensive, (and if you look at the origin of the word, it is), and that word has been used in the past offensively, and is still being used offensively by some on here.
And those who think it's an example of tolerance for them to campaign against the offensiveness of the word, and for people to be allowed to continuing using that word offensively.
And the OP of this thread has previously demonstrated his willingness to use racist words.
I bet they also got their knickers in a twist about an emblem of jam.
Times change, awareness of what is offensive and why increases, but some desperately want to cling to their ability to be offensive. They complain about intolerance, but that is exactly what they display: an intolerance to a name change, FFS!
Will it change their lives, will it affect the sweets in the packet, will it affect them in a possible way? I suspect not. But it will affect others beneficially. But they don't want that. Even though it has absolutely no effect on them, they want avoid making someone else's life better.
the same can be said of not changing it. Change is an imposition on others.

Yep! You learn an acceptable name, become well used to it, then someone comes along and decrees it is no longer acceptable. You then stuggle not to use that term and before you know it, they think of another one that they decide is acceptable. Why should >I< keep changing? What has actually changed, nothing? All it does is give me negative thoughts in me, about such individuals casuing so much trouble.

I remember when gay just meant jolly and the blind were simply blind, the deaf, simply deaf.

I agree, but dwarf is the accepted term and midget is not.
it’s in the dictionary
D7CD0A74-54A6-4396-81D3-BE8EA1F9B345.png

Sponsored Links
It's the name of a confectionary. Manufacturers can call their sweets whatever they like. Maximising sales is usually the primary reason for a name.
If you're so offended by a name change, stop buying their sweets, and tell them why. :rolleyes:
I'm sure they'll be concerned about the loss of your sweetie spend.

Yep! You learn an acceptable name, become well used to it, then someone comes along and decrees it is no longer acceptable. You then stuggle not to use that term and before you know it, they think of another one that they decide is acceptable. Why should >I< keep changing? What has actually changed, nothing? All it does is give me negative thoughts in me, about such individuals casuing so much trouble.

I remember when gay just meant jolly and the blind were simply blind, the deaf, simply deaf.
If you can't keep up with society evolving it's not the fault of society, and it won't wait for you.

If you use it to describe a person.... Not if you use it to describe an inanimate object.
There's a difference between using a word as a proper noun, and using it as a descriptor. Using it to describe a sweet is using it as a descriptor. Naming a sweet with a word is assigning it proper noun status. Then it can be offensive.
And your typical behaviour has been to use words that are obviously offensive. Then you swear blind it's not offensive even when it's proven to you.
So you're not a good arbiter of deciding what words are offensive and when they're not.

And your attitude in starting the thread, feigning horror that a sweet name is being changed, suggests that your real concern is that your ability to be offensive may be curtailed.

With my PC hat on:
Personally I am really offended by the whole issue.
People are barstewards and will call and cause offense at anyone who does not meet their version of the norm without considering the feelings of their chosen victim.
****s the lot of them that do.
I am offended because I love midget Gems, they have been my favorite sweet for many many years, I will often ignore others on the shelf if I see a pack of Midget Gems.
(Being 29p a pack in Aldi helps my choice :) )
I will continue to call them Midget Gems, those little sweets that I like so much.

Anyone with dwarfism that does not like them being called that can go do one as far as I am concerned, the name of the sweet bears no relation to them, it's a small sweet FFS!

:) ;) :)

There's a difference between using a word as a proper noun, and using it as a descriptor. Using it to describe a sweet is using it as a descriptor. Naming a sweet with a word is assigning it proper noun status. Then it can be offensive.
And your typical behaviour has been to use words that are obviously offensive. Then you swear blind it's not offensive even when it's proven to you.
So you're not a good arbiter of deciding what words are offensive and when they're not.

And your attitude in starting the thread, feigning horror that a sweet name is being changed, suggests that your real concern is that your ability to be offensive may be curtailed.

Angle forgot the rant was about sweets? TW IT:LOL:
Godwasawoman reinforces the perception that his ability to read and comprehend posts is sadly lacking.

Sponsored Links
Back