Wolf Hall

Sponsored Links
Trivia question:

How many husbands did the wives of Henry VIII have between them?

Counting Henry as one person for all his wives then I think the answer is 5.

Edit
Unless it's a trick question in which case it could be 4 as it could be said that Katherine Parr wasn't the king's wife when she married her last husband but the king's widow.

Not a trick question...but like your answer is above Parr 🙈

Sponsored Links
Is this something to do with at least one of his wives (the ugly Dutch one) having her marriage annulled on the grounds that it was never consummated?

I'd considered that one and it could also apply to his first wife , Catherine of Aragon. After making himself head of the church Henry declared the marriage invalid. If I remember correctly it was something to do with her being previously married to his brother Arthur and it saying in the bible ( sorry I can't quote the relevant chapter) that " a man should not lay with his brother's widow " .
However, as Micilin says it's not a trick question......

Good point on the ' legality' of the marriages, and that's probably another venue.

But in this case, take it that each of Henry's marriages was legit.

I make it ten. I'm only going by my own reading of it, rather than a definitive answer as I've not seen the question posed anywhere.

If we say each of them married Henry once, that's six.

Katherine of Aragon was married once before Henry, this makes seven.

Katherine Parr was married twice before Henry, and once after, making three more for ten.

But as said previously, you could take into account annulments which technically could mean the marriage never happened. In which case I'd probably have to rephrase the question to make the ten

Ah so there is a sort of trick to the question. Being pedantic it could be said that " between them " could refer to how many husbands they shared in which case the answer could be one as they only shared Henry the other husbands were unique to Catherine of Aragon and Katherine Parr.
Just a thought , but without searching Katherine Howard was executed for adultery as I recall. Was her lover or alleged lover married which would add another husband into the mix making it eleven.
Personally I'm sticking with five.

Edit no good I've had to check and it seems the two men accused of adultery with Howard were both un married , Francis Dereham and Thomas Culpeper so that discounts my last comment so the final answer is......
oh I don't know Daleks probably , oh bugger wrong thread :D

Ah so there is a sort of trick to the question. Being pedantic it could be said that " between them " could refer to how many husbands they shared in which case the answer could be one as they only shared Henry the other husbands were unique to Catherine of Aragon and Katherine Parr.
Just a thought , but without searching Katherine Howard was executed for adultery as I recall. Was her lover or alleged lover married which would add another husband into the mix making it eleven.
Personally I'm sticking with five.

Edit no good I've had to check and it seems the two men accused of adultery with Howard were both un married , Francis Dereham and Thomas Culpeper so that discounts my last comment so the final answer is......
oh I don't know Daleks probably , oh b*****r wrong thread :D

Who? :mrgreen:

Wasn't an intentional 'trick' but I could have phrased it better!

Perhaps 'How many times in total , did the the wives of Henry XIII get married'

Or 'How many husbands did the wives of Henry VIII have between them, (counting each subseqent marriage to Henry as one more)?

I like the pedantry of 'between them' = sharing husbands

Of course I will resort to the Pub Quiz masters staple defence - I can only accept teh answer on the card.

But thanks all for the diversion!

(Apologies if we had no explosions or slo mo 'coach and four' crashes in it)

Who the hell was Henry XIII? I must have missed five.

Sponsored Links
Back