wood bending

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

does anyone have any recommendations for bending a facia board to provide a finish to the decking I have built (picture in my album)

the decking is raised about 200 mm from the path which curves round it and the decking is cut to match its curve, I now need to attached a facia type board out of same or similar wood to hide the joists etc but would like it to follow the curve for a good finish

any suggestion much appreciated !

Andy

Sponsored Links
I was faced with a similar problem when i built some decking but the radius wasn't as big as yours.
The way i finished it was to use some 12mm exterior plywood bent around the radius and fixed to the joist ends.I then ripped a decking board down its length to 13mm thickness which when fixed onto plywood equalled the thickness of the decking board.I cut a series of kerf cuts to the back of the ripped down board approx 10mm apart to aid in bending the board.All in all it was just the result i was looking for:cool:

lol - come to a merchant near me and you can actually buy bent and twisted boards from stock!

Yes, some back groove cuts, soaking and fixing one end and then bending may do it.

Jaffas method seems good, but I'm not sure about using ply like that outside

Or just cut the board into smaller segments and form the curve that way

surely you could laminate it out of several thin pieces of ply, bent first, then glued together with waterproof glue? each piece will be more flexible, being thin, but when they have been glued tightly together round your former, they will make a single rigid curve

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the advice I will try something at the weekend !

hi there i have also come across this problem on more than a few occasions and have found that kerf cutting the back works well.The last decking job i did had a couple of curves similer and i kerfed it,soaked it then left it over night laid over two saw stools at each end and it bent alot making it alot easyer to start with the next day.Left in the rain with alittle weight sat on it for a couple of day sould do it nice. Good look any way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back