Wood burner bin for garden ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a longer lasting alternative to the standard galvanised bins with vent holes? Only seem to last a year before the rust gets to them and bottom falls out.

Sponsored Links
Zinc galvanising will melt off or oxidise. So the stainless drum is better.

Try brick built, with a chimney to deal with the smoke.

Luckily there is lots of cheap stainless scrap around these days.

Sponsored Links
Zinc galvanising will melt off or oxidise. So the stainless drum is better.

Try brick built, with a chimney to deal with the smoke.

Luckily there is lots of cheap stainless scrap around these days.
Need to be mobile so will look for WM drum .

Nothing wrong with burning it on the ground but it'll ruin a spot in the garden which will affect the look of a landscaped space. If the rest of your garden is wild n' woolly then go for it, but the trick with those burning bins is to feed the fire slowly so the heat doesn't get so high that it wears out the zinc coating on the metal. If you can store your bin in the shed, away from rain and winter, all the better.
If you have a huge amount of waste to dispose of then a trip to the tip is best.

47kg gas bottle

I use an oil drum that I keep upside down when not in use, seems to last longer than letting the rain turn the ash into a probably acidic paste. Also have a vacuum cleaner with the pipe jerry rigged onto the outlet to blow air rather than suck, for when I want to burn stuff turbo..

Though I have to say, the installation (shoving it into the barrel so the fire went up one side and the air went down the other) of a bent storage heater front panel on one particularly windy day had a spectacular chimney effect..

The panel was so hot, rubbing a stick on it was like a sparkler, much to the kids' delight

1711258987131.png

1711259304687.png

Much better than getting a low temperature burn producing mostly volumes of smoke, but definitely stressful to the bin! I get about 5 years out of a well used drum, wonder whether that will change with this tactic

I’d go with a drum too, I’ve had this one since 2018, I keep the lid on after a burn to preserve the inside of it.

IMG_4276.png

A long, long time ago I had a bin the same proportions as a dustbin one but the side was a piece of very heavy duty mesh, sprung into place, and the bottom was a circle of the same mesh. This lasted a long time, many years. So when it finally died I tried to replace it but could not find one. I had a couple of those galvanised bins with vent holes but, as you say, they only last a year or so.

My conclusion was that the inside of those galvanised bins stays wet and so they rust quickly, whereas the heavy mesh one I had dried out and so was much slower to rust. I then looked for and bought a mesh one, like this

In mine the four sides clip together and then the bottom drops in. This worked well, apart from the fact that the bottom had the same size holes as the sides leading to bits of (often burning) material falling out. I fixed that with some mesh with smaller holes.

I can't really speak about the longevity of mine as a year or so after I bought it we moved and I stopped burning garden material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back