Wood Burner or Boiler stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my renovation ive removed the old wood burner to be able to repair the fireplace etc. I have the opportunity to run wet UFH pipes while the floor is up and insulation is going down rather than leaving the existing rad on the wall. Ive been doing some basic research about wood burners / boiler stoves as the wood burner I have is quite old and small. I wondered if I could hook it up to the UFH or a radiator or three.

Ive concluded that its a bit more expensive than I initially thought as rads/UHF are closed systems and a stove boiler needs a 'to air' system to prevent explosions etc. so Id need;
- Stove boiler
- expansion vessel
- header tank
- possibly a storage cylinder or heat dump rad

Im just trying to get the most out of the woodburner and be efficient as possible. Is there any other suggestions or ways to do this? Ive also read about putting vents in the ceiling to allow the hot air to circulate (and warm) rooms above. Is this effective? should they be fan assisted vents?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In another thread I was asking about wood burner flue temperatures.

This was beacause some one on here or the gas Combustion Chamber mentioned the Recoheat flue heat recovery unit.

This might be worth looking at.

In another thread I was asking about wood burner flue temperatures.

This was beacause some one on here or the gas Combustion Chamber mentioned the Recoheat flue heat recovery unit.

This might be worth looking at.

Nice one, thanks for that.

Sponsored Links
You only need around 45° water temperature for UFH, I doubt the blending valve could cope from the heat from the output of wood burner.

You'd need a good plumber to work out what could be done and what couldn't and be safe.

Had a good read and watched the video. Seems like a good idea to recover extra heat (if you don’t mind the hiss) . Sadly it can’t force any heat into other rooms

Woodburners emit a lot of heat but it's difficult to capture and store it. Running the things at tickover or a low burn rate can be problematic (buildup of nasty stuff in the flue liner).
Water (aka the thermal store) is a good option- stores the heat from a good evening burn so the rads/hot water are hot in the morning. You need quite a large volume of water though...
If you are paying for your fuel (timber, coal) you are unlikely to beat the cost per kWh of gas.

Some of your assumptions about heating systems need a bit of correcting as well. Many (most) modern wet systems are sealed and pressurised but they don't have to be-open vent works just fine.
You definitely need a heat dump rad.
You need a cylinder of some sort for hot water storage.
Your UFH will run nicely from a thermal store.
You need a metal feed/expansion tank for primary system water (the stuff that actually circulates through the woodburner).
You need a metal header tank for your dhw cylinder (the water you fill the bath with) or you could use a plate heat exchanger or additional coil in the thermal store for mains pressure hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back