Wood finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still trying to get my head around all this. I've bought a side gate off ebay (made to order). It's a smooth finished wood. I was going to use Cuprinol Ducksback but I've read that it's meant to be for rough-sawn timber.

We had a fence fitted in the front garden: http://www.grangefen.co.uk/grange-professional-lap-brown-gpl6.html

I want to have the same colour for the gate. I'm in no rush to fit the gate so I was going to coat or stain the gate and post indoors before fitting.

What should I go for?

Sponsored Links
ducks back is brilliant its waxy and covers well
i coat my my workshop ever 3 years or so and my 12 year old pressure treated shed is without any decay what so ever
it doesnt penenetrait at all but seals very very well

Thanks all. The gate and post are made from redwood and is planed smooth.

My understanding was that ducksback is for rough-sawn timber because it absorbs better. Barretine - interestingly, I was looking at that for my back garden fences but decided the cost (once I calculated how much I needed to cover the fences) was more than the cost of the fence panels in the first place.

I was originally looking at Ronseal stuff but wonder whether Sadolin Classic and Extra Durable woodstain systems are better?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back