Repairing garden gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partners parents were going to chop up and burn a damaged garden gate they were going to install before being given a replacement.

Am I right in thinking a bit of exterior wood filler, sand down and paint would fix it? Would the wood filler be ok in all weather's etc?

I've got some Toupret wood filler.

Then a coat of cuprinol.
IMG_20220426_185456.jpg
IMG_20220426_194609.jpg

Sponsored Links
assuming its not glued and assuming its t&g i would remove the plank and replace
other options are flip the board to put the damage inside but unlikly due to txg differences
you can also replace the damage part full length with say 40mm wide or whatever size you can get but screwed on after cutting off the damage

assuming its not glued and assuming its t&g i would remove the plank and replace
other options are flip the board to put the damage inside but unlikly due to txg differences
you can also replace the damage part full length with say 40mm wide or whatever size you can get but screwed on after cutting off the damage

I don't think it's t&g might be wrong

I did think about unscrewing the top and flipping it around as it'll be at the bottom left.

I think the gates been pre treated not sure what with

IMG_20220426_194635.jpg
IMG_20220426_194603.jpg

Maybe it is t&g?

Also either end are smaller bits of wood width wise

IMG_20220427_191607.jpg

Worth a try I suppose, but over time the wood will contract/expand and probably cracks will appear around the edges of the filler.

Would be better to glue in a wood sliver and either plane/sand down. When you Cuprinol the colour match will also be better than filler.

Far to good to bin.

Sponsored Links
Just plane off the damaged section , gates should not be a tight fit and will help avoid it sticking .

Filler will look sh1t and fall out

plane it down

if too narrow, screw a strip on

Mr Chibs' idea is sound but i'd go further and cut out the chipped piece and replace with new - glued and then varnished it should even out the edge.
Can't believe it was due for the bonfire. Apart from that damage the gate looks sound to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back