Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m fixing the stair handrail to the wall and wanted advise on the best way to do it. The builder initially used caulk to seal it to the wall, but movement cracked that. I have removed the caulk, painted the bare plaster behind, and now my thoughts were to fill the gap rather than push it to the wall. I’ve got noodle type foam sealant to push into the gap, or I could use expanding foam. Then on top, what would be best? Caulk again? Or I’ve got Ronson’s 2 part wood filler (which seems to be the same as an epoxy filler?) Or Toupret wood filler?

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0173.png
    IMG_0173.png
    528.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Consider building up the gap with an oak or pine strip, with the top layer scribed to fit using a sharp hand plane or file sander. You might also be able to screw through the handrail into the wall if there is a stud available to keep it steady

Thanks for the ideas. There doesn’t seem to be a stud there unfortunately, that was my first thought too. Putting a wood trim is a nice idea, but would I have the same problem with cracking where it’s glued on, with the movement?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if I have the patience for building up with oak or pine strips then scribing, and again, will movement likely cause the top bit to come away from the wall?

my thought is that expanding foam will flex (does it?) then fill with what though?

The expanding foam will flex slightly, and to a degree it will hold the timber in place.

Spray the area with a mist of water first. It will help the adhesion and curing.

Once cured, cut away any excess with a sharp knife, tilted slightly downwards to provide space for the filler. The 2 pack filler that you show will be fine but even if you use a sanding block, you may end up with a slight radius where it meets the plaster. The radius will be far less if you use a soft filler such as Red Devil OneTime, but it is so soft that it could become dented over time.

Use a piece of trim wood as suggested above but attach it to the plaster only then the handrail will be free to move below it

Use a piece of trim wood as suggested above but attach it to the plaster only then the handrail will be free to move below it
Ah, I see. So would you fill/ pack out the space at all or just leave it so it can move?

BTW, the filler in your photo is a polyester resin filler. It is not an epoxy resin filler. They are way more expensive and probably wouldn't help in this case. They would not adhere sufficiently to the plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back