Gaps appear in large gate when wood dries in summer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all you good forum members.
Although I am in my 70's, I still like to maintain my property in good repair, and would like some advice on the following problem.
About 2 years ago, I made a very large wooden arched gate, which is erected at the end of my driveway. It measures about 10 feet wide by 8 feet high.
When I made this gate, the frame of which is made with 3 x 2 wood, I made the main part using dressed 7" sheets of wood. After finishing making and fitting the gates, I painted them Oxford Blue. However I now find that whenever the wood dries out in summer, the sheets of wood, part from each other, leaving long fine gaps between the sheets, which look very untidy. I attempted to fill some of these gaps in, last summer, with some wood filler, but to my disappointment, the gaps have appeared again, this year.
Can anyone, preferably a joiner, advise me of any material with which I can fill these gaps, to stop them appearing again in the future.
Thanks for all advice given.

Sponsored Links
try an exterior painters mate filler,thats if they do it?you need something thats flexable,my driveway gates do the same but i just put up with it,there is a lot of expansion/contraction going on,and there not exactly small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back