filling gaps between wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Before I ask my question I would like to underline the fact that this is my first real joinery project, no prior exp!

I am making a radiator cover for our nursery. Its by no means perfect but I am happy with it. The problem is there are a couple of bodges where I have made a mistake which has resulted in a lot more bits of wood screwed together which of course has caused a lot more gaps where the wood meets. I was just wondering if anyone can advise on the best method to hide these gaps? I have used decorators caulk in past attempts, which has filled the gap but the gap is still visible. Maybe I applied it wrong? or is there a better product I could use? any tips/advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Blunda
We all get this from time to time, but decorators caulk is not the way to go here...its great stuff where it can be smoothed with a finger but it doesn't like to be sanded.
Go for some Polyfilla (ready mixed, in a tube if you like) and press it into the gap, leaving some of the filler proud. In a few hours the excess can be sanded away using glasspaper to give an invisible repair which will take an excellent paint finish.
John :)

Hi Burnerman

Thanks for your advise, much appreciated.

One thing that does concern me is the flexibility of the filler. being wood (MDF) and next to a radiator i was worried about the wood contracting and cracking the filler

High temperatures in any material mean a certain amount of expansion, as you suggest. However, MDF is not a natural material, therefore any distortion should be minimal. I think its safe to give it a go with the filler.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Dec caulk shrinks while drying so you need to take this into account, I use it when making mdf items as it's great for getting consistent finish to internal corners when painting mdf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back