Wood floor varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replicate the floor appearance seen in the pictures below. Questions that I have:

1) Is this floor varnish or wax?

2) I was going to go with the Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish. Does anyone know what colour would give the same colour below? I was thinking either Dark Oak, Walnut or Mahogany.

3) Do you use the same product for the floor and skirting boards?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
1) Is this floor varnish or wax?

2) I was going to go with the Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish. Does anyone know what colour would give the same colour below? I was thinking either Dark Oak, Walnut or Mahogany.

3) Do you use the same product for the floor and skirting boards?
1. Difficult to tell from pictures. I put my money on varnish.
2. It's not walnut for sure and it's not mahogany. Looks like medium oak.
3. You can do if skirting is wood.

1. Difficult to tell from pictures. I put my money on varnish.
2. It's not walnut for sure and it's not mahogany. Looks like medium oak.
3. You can do if skirting is wood.

Great. Thanks for the reply.

The skirting is wood. But it's been painted white. Would I need to sand off the paint? Or could I just the varnish over it?

It looks like the flooring where I am working. That is supposed to be a chestnut stain.

Sponsored Links
Great. Thanks for the reply.

The skirting is wood. But it's been painted white. Would I need to sand off the paint? Or could I just the varnish over it?
Unfortunately you'll need to remove all paint first.
Easier to replace or leave it white.
Doesn't look white in the pictures?!?@

Thanks for the replies.

The pics are what the other room looks like which we are trying to replicate. The below pic is what it currently looks like - we've just removed the carpet.

Going to hire a floor sander to sand down the floor boards and then apply a few coats of the Ronseal Diamond varnish.

I might leave the skirting white then - I just thought it might look a bit odd?

The perimeter of the room is only about 12m - so I was thinking it wouldnt be too hard to remove the paint. Just wasnt sure how: sand paper (if so, what grit), mouse sander, heat gun, chemicals (e.g. paint strippers), scaper

Sanding that would be a nightmare.
Either replace or leave it white.
If you like a challenge, paint stripper, then sanding from 80 grit down to 240 or even 400, but it will take a lot of time, swearing and blisters, especially if the skirting has been painted properly with primer, undercoat and gloss.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I will leave white - most of the skirting will be covered by a bed anyway.

Last questions and this may sound silly.

Are the floorboards in the pic sandable? I was hoping hire a floor and edging sanders and then apply a few coats of varnish. My brother was saying that I need to use wood filler as well.

If they're wood then they can be sanded.
They don't look in bad condition, so i would go with a sanding pad on a pole so to save my back, then finish sanding by hand.
Use knee pads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back