Wood, Metal or Plastic.

L

leeweedon

The time has come to start thinking about replacing our old wooden shed. It's about 15 years old and is a total mess.

I think, and always have done that Wood is the best materiel for a shed, but plastic and metal options seem to be easier to maintain, install and keep.

Do I just go for a wood replacement? Or are alternatives worth looking in to?

Sponsored Links
Metal and plastic (not the ultra-cheap B&Q plastic!) will last for far longer, with far less upkeep, than wooden sheds.

But they're bl**dy ugly. So depends on whether you can live with the looks.

In a plastic or metal shed, your stuff will be permanently wet from condensation. Even if you insulate, you won't stop it completely. They also have a tendency to end up in the next county in high winds.

ETA - do a search on metal shed and plastic shed on here - lots of info.

In a plastic or metal shed, your stuff will be permanently wet from condensation. Even if you insulate, you won't stop it completely.

It would be ventilation bricks / outlets, rather than insulation, that improves condensation / humidity issues, wouldn't it?

They also have a tendency to end up in the next county in high winds.

ETA - do a search on metal shed and plastic shed on here - lots of info.

Bolting/anchoring to the slab base would be a sensible move.

Sponsored Links
It would be ventilation bricks / outlets, rather than insulation, that improves condensation / humidity issues, wouldn't it?

They already come with ventilation devices, they don't work. Insulation is supposed to stop water condensing on the inside surface when the outside temperature drops below that inside. It helps but doesn't solve it completely.

Bolting/anchoring to the slab base would be a sensible move.

If the base is stronger than the shed, the end result is the same.

A good timber shed could last many decades - but most sheds for sale aren't particularly good :unsure: :LOL:

I bought a metal shed from Argos about 5 years ago.

The parts appear to be flimsy but as the assembly takes place it becomes more sturdy. Don't try and assemble it on your own. You WILL need two people to ensure the sides stay in position until the four sides are assembled together.

Once assembled they are quite sturdy and should be bolted down to the base. The anchor kits are nothing more than rawl plugs and screws.

I had condensation issues in the first winter, but found by leaving the doors open by approx 1/2" resolved the issue.

The shed is still serving me well.

The downside is you cannot attach shelving to the the shed walls, but I just got some standalone racking instead.

For metal sheds is condensation really that much of a concern? And is leaving the door open the solution? ie. does it need that much vent? Perhaps a cut out of the roof with an additional overlapping apex would be a solution?

For metal sheds is condensation really that much of a concern? And is leaving the door open the solution? ie. does it need that much vent? Perhaps a cut out of the roof with an additional overlapping apex would be a solution?

Depends what you're going to keep in it. If it's stuff that won't mind getting wet, go rusty or mouldy, it won't be a problem.

Buying a new shed and having to cut bits out, drill holes in and/or leave the doors open suggest to me they're not fit for purpose, at least not the purpose I'd use a shed for ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back