wood or mdf sills?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quote for all new Windows and doors. Presently have wooden sills and picture framed in the bedrooms (dorma) . The compactness said they would install wood but wouldn't guarantee it as it will buckle/ swell/ discolour. They are pushing a coated msg rosewood affect. What is the opinions on this material ?

Sponsored Links
No way is MDF suitable if the sills will get wet at any time, and that includes condensation, so it would be timber for me.
MDF does have the advantage that it tends to stay flat though.
John :)

MDF as internal cills, fine.

External, no, not unless it is tricoya.

MDF is used for external shop fronts, moulded sections and panels, so it is technically suitable. But for domestic use I wouldnt accept it, shop fronts are seen as more temporary, or more bespoke.

Had a quote for all new Windows and doors. Presently have wooden sills and picture framed in the bedrooms (dorma) . The compactness said they would install wood but wouldn't guarantee it as it will buckle/ swell/ discolour. They are pushing a coated msg rosewood affect. What is the opinions on this material ?

Do you mean window sills or window boards? Normally the interior feature (which I assume you mean) is referred to as a window board.

If you want the effect of bare wood, then I would use wood; MDF, however prepared, will never look right. I fitted softwood window boards in my bedrooms and varnished with Ronseal Mattcoat varnish (my favourite varnish of choice for most applications, as it leave the wood looking fairly natural).

Not a fan of MDF.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links

Do you mean window sills or window boards? Normally the interior feature (which I assume you mean) is referred to as a window board.

If you want the effect of bare wood, then I would use wood; MDF, however prepared, will never look right. I fitted softwood window boards in my bedrooms and varnished with Ronseal Mattcoat varnish (my favourite varnish of choice for most applications, as it leave the wood looking fairly natural).

Not a fan of MDF.

Cheers
Richard

Yeah internal. Guy says if you varnish the top the underneath will still dry out and expand and contract and warp. Amazingly my existing ones haven't suffered from this. I think the mdf looks cheaper,

Yeah internal. Guy says if you varnish the top the underneath will still dry out and expand and contract and warp. Amazingly my existing ones haven't suffered from this. I think the mdf looks cheaper,

Mine haven't suffered from that either.

Cheers
Richard

mdf=more profit for the company.

even when painted all round.after a while even with a bit of condensation they will tend to swell,
so its wood for me.

mdf=more profit for the company.

even when painted all round.after a while even with a bit of condensation they will tend to swell,
so its wood for me.

Absolutely. Wood is one of the world's oldest construction materials. MDF and uPVC are the Devil's attempt to make our buildings fall down.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back