Wood putty substance that dries hard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fill a key hole in a wooden door. Is there a substance that I can jam in the hole and let harden? Something that would dry hard enough and be bonded together sufficiently to then drill through?

I don't need the substance to resemble the wood too closely as it will be hidden bedind a metal plate.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The stuff you link to is just like car body filler as refered to by Symptoms.It will be ok to fill the keyhole in your door BUT can i ask why you want to use it(or similar) on a ceiling? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The filler you are refering to goes off very quickly so make sure you read the destructions 100%.

Don't use too much of the activator as the filler will go off even quicker.

How big is the hole, can you perhaps let in a piece of dowel where you need to screw into.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Once I saw that stuff I thought I could use it for another purpose. Basically I've got a ceiling lamp I need to hang but unfortunately there is no hook.. And to make matters worse the wood around that area is quite rotten. So I'm a bit stuck where to screw into for a hook.

Wouldn't I be able to use this stuff to lay over and inbetween the remaing wood to create an area I could screw into?

gizmo - you might be better off lifting the floorboard in the room above to fix a batten in the void. You then screw your hook into the newly installed timber batten rather than relying in a filler plug for support.

I wish I could Symptoms! Unfortunately I'm in a flat.. and I can't see the neighbors being too happy with me pulling up their floorboards..

Will this stuff do the trick do you think? I intend on securing the lamp to the metal shaft that the electircal wires are coming through too. It seems very sturdy.

OK gizmo, this is what I'd do ... enlarge the hole in the ceiling a little to allow you to slip into the ceiling void a short length of batten (maybe 150mm+ long); this batten will have the effect of 'spreading the load' of the light fitting across the upper surface of the ceiling board (or lath & plaster). Now, here's the trick ... insert a screw into the centre of this batten before insertion (to act as a handle), apply generous blobs of Gripfill to each bearing-end of the batten and then pull down on the screw handle. This will apply Grip to the upper side of the ceiling board (you could insert a couple of screws up through the ceiling into the ends of the batten to lock it in place). Let the whole shooting match set. Now repair the hole in the ceiling. Now take the screw handle out. Now fix your light, screwing into the newly installed batten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back