Wood Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have put a couple of pieces of Oak trim (inc window sill) in my domestic kitchen, and need to seal it.

I see many things on the market, but unsure what to use in this environment.
Obviously, it needs to be dry after application, so I'm worried about 'oils' that might stay sticky etc.

Any advice please ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Others may frown, but I have used:
upload_2021-10-12_11-16-20.png

On the oak window cill and veneered door to my bathroom.

Maybe I've been lucky (some reviews are poor!), but the wood looks as good as new, after a few years.

...and I suppose it depends on how you use your cill?
In my kitchen, the mugs are left to dry on it!
You might need something tougher if that were the case! :)

Thanks RG,
I only used to put washing up liquid and a cup with bits'n'bobs in. It won't get a lot of actual use, unless the odd avocado seed jar !?
I do like Ronseal as a normal varnish, but thought there would be something nicer as it's Oak.
If not Ron Seal it will be.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Everbuild woodstain is extremely tough.
I used it on an outdoor bench 2 years ago and it still looks pristine despite being uncovered.

Osmo oil... it’s not oily:D
Well, not after the 24-48 hours it takes to dry it's not. :rolleyes: And it's not recommended for internal use anyway for this reason and the smell.

And it don't give the surface any protection from impact, just like most oils. The only oil that comes to mind that will give a tough surface is tung, and that will be laborious coats over many, many days - weeks even.

Should have been specific, osmo worktop oil, dries in around 8 hours, and not oily.
Beautiful finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back