Wood sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have build an MDF plith for my shower tray to sit on. I want to seal the MDf just incase there are any water leaks in the future but it needs to be something that will still allow me to paint the surface. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Tom

Sponsored Links
ooo dear tom :cry:

unless its green mdf you are likly to have trouble if it gets wet even for a short time
if you can fully seal it youll be fine but once it gets soaked its structural strength goes :cry:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!! Ok, its not the end of the world as i havent fitted it yet and can make another out of green MDF (didnt even know that existed!!!)

Cheers mate

Tom

exterior ply is more suited for the task as this will take quite a bit off damp then dry before it falls to bits
take an offcut of mdf and exterior or wbp [water and boil proof]ply leave them soaking for 2 days the mdf will be shot the ply will be ok

Sponsored Links
Even Green MR MDF will swell if it gets wet, I've seen 18mm stuff swell to over 25mm. If you really must use MDF then get exterior grade which has a grey core and seal with something like Bondaglass G4

As big-all Says tanalized framework, 25mm WBP ply and use a piece of UPVC facia for the front edge.

Jason

Cheers Jason. As i said i will have to rebuild it anyway so will get my ass down the wood yard later toady.

Cheers again chaps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back