Wood stain painting plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The roof cap on the conservatory is still decent but faded from the sunlight.

If its well rubbed down, is wood stain a good contender for painting it?

full

Sponsored Links
Its a plastic channel of some composition and has been in place since the 90s when the conservatory was built.

As as I say, its in good nick so if I can rub it down to key some type of paint finish on, that'll do for me.

I'm replacing the roof sheet joint bars because some are cracked.

Sponsored Links
Non-drip oil-based gloss paint is successful on PVC.

Clean it with a nylon scourer and white spirit to abraded the weathered surface. If there is an ornamental foil that is peeling, remove it.

A single flowing coat. No primer or undercoat required.

Can you reach it off a ladder though?

JohnD is correct that oil based gloss doesn't require an undercoat on plastic. That said, it might be prudent to use OB undercoat because it obliterates the existing colour far better than gloss. If you are going for a similar colour it might not be an issue.

Ultimately, you will have to repaint it every X amount of years. If you don't want to do that, it may be the case that you can clean it with one of the solvent based uPVC cleaners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back