Wood Stove Chimney (flue) - wall or roof?

Ye gods you're really putting me on the spot here - and if I get shot down I'll probably deserve it :eek:
I think that (2) would be best with the gap plugged with fire clay cement.
However.... The pipe outside would be as hot as hell, must be guarded against people touching and also needs to be kept away from the building - especially the eaves - for risk of fire. The terminal needs to have a cowl with bird guard.
Is the property in UK (Hetas guidelines) or Espana?
John :)

Sponsored Links
its a rustic house in spanish mountains - we don't have regulations up here.....

i'm thinking to mix some fire clay and cement and just plug the hole.......but a little more research needed.

Well, if there's no regs you can do what you want ;)
I'd still sleeve the hole on the wall, just to minimise cracking of the cement as the heat will be severe; keep the exterior pipe away from the eaves and support it well; keep the height of the flue to avoid down draught - maybe to the ridge? Stand the stove on a heavy hearth which is big enough to prevent people stumbling onto the stove.
Are there any children around?
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back