Wood type for outdoor shelving ??

Sponsored Links
timber merchant or woodyard
ask for sawn treated
its cheaper than planed and will last for years

Green oak.

Or, basically, any of many types of hardwood.

Pressure treated softwood is a poor substitute.

Sponsored Links
Green oak.

Or, basically, any of many types of hardwood.

Pressure treated softwood is a poor substitute.

yep couldnt agree more :D :D :D
but people tend to go white [loose colour] when you suggest around 3 or four times the price :cool:

I think the thing to remember here is I'm building a set of shelves.

Not a grand pergola or patio cover that must look incredibly polished.

Looking for a moderately priced wood that will look decent and last a few years !!

That'll be some kind of hardwood, then. It's not as if you need large amounts, as it's not a pergola or patio roof...

Ok, so I had been looking at sawn treated in B&Q but where would should I source the small amounts of hardwood I need ??

Proper timber merchant rather than a DIY shed.

They should be able to advice on the best type(s) to use, and you never know - if you don't mind mix'n'match (which might add a bit of rustic charm) you might be lucky and get a few odd bits on the cheap.

What would a hardwood such as oak need in terms of preservation treatment to survive outdoors ?

Nothing - that's the point.

OK - you can apply oils if you want to keep the colour, but rod and own back come to mind then - best to just let it weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back