Wood worm advice required

But each diluted litre covers upto 4m2 of wood surface, so 25ltrs would cover 100m2, right?

Also this is just extra precaution we think the holes have been made with drawing pins.

Sponsored Links
But each diluted litre covers upto 4m2 of wood surface, so 25ltrs would cover 100m2, right?

Also this is just extra precaution we think the holes have been made with drawing pins.
I said that. In which case you'd be mad to start spraying poisons around in your house.

The matter of fact is we're not a 100% sure if it's definitely drawing pins or woodworm and because these same type of holes appear on the floor joists too, I'm a bit suspicious as it's unlikely that someone has been puncturing the floor joists with drawing pins too.

I appreciate your concern regarding poisons, but I'm doing this in fully a sealed loft with velux windows fully opened so that any fumes escape quickly. Also I will make sure I keep my family away for at least a day or two as an extra precaution.

Woodworm are a non-problem even if you did have them. You going to spray your house against spiders too?

Sponsored Links
The matter of fact is we're not a 100% sure if it's definitely drawing pins or woodworm and because these same type of holes appear on the floor joists too, I'm a bit suspicious as it's unlikely that someone has been puncturing the floor joists with drawing pins too.

I appreciate your concern regarding poisons, but I'm doing this in fully a sealed loft with velux windows fully opened so that any fumes escape quickly. Also I will make sure I keep my family away for at least a day or two as an extra precaution.
The fumes won't escape quickly. It'll carry on giving off fumes for some time after treatment. Still, it's your, and your family's health.

Unless you have a serious damp problem, or a lack of ventilation under the floor, the chance of woodworm in a centrally heated house is negligible - the timber simply doesn't have the moisture content. It used to be common in Victorian and Edwardian houses for the first ten years ago while the timbers lost their moisture, but even there, and holes you might find are most likely historical.

Cheers
Richard

but it's in the loft, so surely the normal air flow will be rising from the house and out through the eaves, not flowing down into the house.

if there are great holes in the ceilings for downlighters it might be different.

Just to be clear, there is no central heating in the loft. In fact the loft is very drafty and is sealed off from the downstairs with draught excluders. But one thing that is true, is that the loft seems to be very dry.

Thanks for the great article, which is interesting and yes there is a risk in using pesticide, but it's the only way for quick elimination IMO. Having said that, I plan to be extra cautious and if required will spread the work over several days and may even move my family out for a week or two so that work can be completed and the risks of exposure can be vastly reduced.

(a) You haven't shown us any evidence of woodworm, just a picture of some pin holes.
(b) If you had evidence of woodworm, it's highly unlikely it's still there.
(c) If you are anxious about it, you'd be better spending your money on a surveyor (not a pest treatment company) to have a look at it and put your mind at rest.
(d) You seem to be letting the fact that you've unnecessarily ordered some equipment before seeking advice cloud your judgement.

I'm not in any way an expert, just a di-yer, but if you feel you must treat - why not use something which is (most likely) less dangerous, like boron (Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate) - I've got a lot of woodworm evidence in my house, so have used it on floor joists, floorboards and ceiling joists - I got it from: http://www.boron.org.uk/Boron_shop.htm

(a) You haven't shown us any evidence of woodworm, just a picture of some pin holes.
(b) If you had evidence of woodworm, it's highly unlikely it's still there.
(c) If you are anxious about it, you'd be better spending your money on a surveyor (not a pest treatment company) to have a look at it and put your mind at rest.
(d) You seem to be letting the fact that you've unnecessarily ordered some equipment before seeking advice cloud your judgement.

I'm not in any way an expert, just a di-yer, but if you feel you must treat - why not use something which is (most likely) less dangerous, like boron (Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate) - I've got a lot of woodworm evidence in my house, so have used it on floor joists, floorboards and ceiling joists - I got it from: http://www.boron.org.uk/Boron_shop.htm

Thank you for your concern guys. I can reassure you gerald & stephen that I'm not letting some equipment that I've ordered cloud my judgement. After reading your article, I've decided that instead of spraying, I will simply brush it on and will make sure I have proper clothing and protection masks.

banghead.gif

I just did my garage joists. Hundreds of holes which I thought were historic until May this year when the car was covered in dust in a line directly under the main joists and lots of dead insects in the mess.

The pictures above don't look much like the woodworm I had.

I bought 15l of wood worm killer and used the jet washer to administer it to save getting up a ladder. Seems to have done the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back