Woodburner Install with no lower chimneybreast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wishing on installing a free standing woodburner in our downstairs living room. The only problem is the chimney breast has been knocked out downstairs.
My plan is to drop a 6" liner down the old chimney (attached to a hanging cowl ) and connect it to a double skin insulated flue (attached to the woodburner) The connection would be made inside the existing chimney just above ceiling height. A steel register plate would be put in the chimney and firestop spacer put where the insulated flue goes through plasterbord covering the stack (which drops down 8" from the top of the ceiling.)
As long as I stick to the relevant distances from combustibles (65mm for the insulated flue and 300 for flexible pipe (when combustibles are shielded) ... does that sound feasible?

Has anyone done this before and if so what was your method to comply with the part J regulations.
Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Im wishing on installing a free standing woodburner in our downstairs living room. The only problem is the chimney breast has been knocked out downstairs.
My plan is to drop a 6" liner down the old chimney (attached to a hanging cowl ) and connect it to a double skin insulated flue (attached to the woodburner) The connection would be made inside the existing chimney just above ceiling height. A steel register plate would be put in the chimney and firestop spacer put where the insulated flue goes through plasterbord covering the stack (which drops down 8" from the top of the ceiling.)
As long as I stick to the relevant distances from combustibles (65mm for the insulated flue and 300 for flexible pipe (when combustibles are shielded) ... does that sound feasible?

Has anyone done this before and if so what was your method to comply with the part J regulations.
Many thanks
Tom

I have a stove with no chimney breast but my flue goes out through the wall below ceiling level, so not the same as yours.

However your plan sounds like it might be plausible - why not ask the installer (if someone is doing this for you) or your Building Control Officer (if you are doing it and notifying BC yourself)?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back