Wooden fence posts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of planning to replace an entire fence (23m worth!) but the recent high winds have forced my hand sooner than my finances will allow it - there are 4 wooden posts in a row that are wobbling (one has snapped off, I'm fairly sure) and another one further down the garden.

Is there a quick fix (that can last a week or two until payday) that I could do to stop these posts swaying about quite so much? The four wonky posts have very narrow access (3" or so?) and then a concrete base where the shed used to be (foolishly took that down recently).

As the posts sway both ways (oo - err) is there a well-known support that I could fix to the ground and to the post in order to pull it back into some semblance of order whilst I prepare for the bigger job?

I could perhaps bodge something together myself, but my DIY skills are not great, so if there was something that people already used it'd be good to know - I guess part of the problem will be that the posts will be sunk in concrete... Could I perhaps get another length of wood and screw this into the three wonky posts, and then use something else to anchor this to the ground?

Sponsored Links
I should add that the post is on the other side of the fence - but it's my fence; don't know why it was installed this way around previously - probably because of the monstrosity of a shed though...

Hi,
You could try a Metpost Repair Spur, it's designed to drive into the rotten wood stump. Designed for posts broken off in concrete but even if just in soil and the ground is fairly solid, it would certainly be worth a try as a temp repair.

regards,
footprints

I Thought it will be easier to ask my question here as well rather than opening a new tread...

My Rear garden fence has three posts... and one of then is swaying or leaning, so looks like one of the post is partially broken from the base.

The smooth side of the fence is facing my garden. There is a small enclosed alley behind my fence. Who's responsibility would the fence be?

What would be the best way of fixing the fence post since it looks like I cant take just the post out on its own? ...

thanks

Sponsored Links
cooa99,
As a rule the arris rails, the triangular horizontal supports between the posts go on the owners side. if you just have paneled fences the same applies the side with the most support bars faces the owners side.
Trouble is most owners want to see the better side and fix them back to front!

You can find out from the title plan which is registered with HM Land registry,
if you own the house you may have a copy from your solicitor or go on line to https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/ and download a copy it was about 4 quid last time I did it.

The fences owned by the property are marked with a "T" symbol on the side responsible for them.

Hope it helps,

Regards,
footprints

The fences owned by the property are marked with a "T" symbol on the side responsible for them.

I just checked the plan, looks like the rear is my responsibility, . It also looks like one of the side was installed back to front by the developer.

Any help on the fence post :)

cheer

I'm a big fan of concrete spurs, they are a bit of work to fit as you need to dig out the old post which will have concrete around it but you need to do that anyway to replace the post unless you are going with the repair spurs which are ok but not the best solution.

Set a concrete spur in quick set mix and then bolt/coach screw the post to it.
Permanent job, if the post rots again, just bolt a new one to the spur half hour job, every 15 years or so!

They come in 75 and 100mm to suit the appropriate post size.

Good luck

footprints :D

PS the spur should go your side of the fence.

Thanks very much, just read up on it now and looks like a perfect solution.

only issue is that the alleyway behind has a locked gate and would not trust myself climbing over the fence and then bringing the whole lot down!

I can almost see myself unable to climb back out of the alley ! :LOL:

how much do you recon the labour cost would be to do the job just in case?

cooa99

Sorry no idea on cost, depends how the fence is fixed if it's just nailed sideways get a skillsaw in between the post and fence to cut them, otherwise two pairs of steps :D

footprints

woulnt bother with repair spurs just brace the posts for the time being then when funds allow replace posts with if 6' closeboard 125mm x 100mm x 2.4m posts and if 6' fence panels 100mm x 100mm x 2.4m fence posts
by the time you have bought concrete spurs and wooden posts you may as well bought 2.4m slotted concrete posts as there will not be much of a price difference and maybe cheaper

I started digging around the rotten post and found that it was set in concrete.

I tried using a hammer and chisel and looks like thats going to take a while.

Whats the best tool to remove the concrete?

cheers

You could use bolt down post supports if the concrete is flat enough but I'm a fan of concrete posts.

If there is a small panel, you could offset by switching the start side, leaving the existing concrete in place and put new in.

SDS drill with rotostop or good old Kango nibble at the edges rather than go at the middle of the concrete.
footprints

I went to HSS to Hire a vibration breaker.

It they only had a pointed tip which seems to have done most of the job of breaking the concrete in. I am waiting for them to deliver to deliver a flater tip to speed things up.

in the meantime I am taking a short break from the hard work :)

Wear ear protection even if you don't have defenders at least use cotton wool or tissue you don't want tinitus!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back