Wooden Floor on Chipboard - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, so bear with me. :oops:

I live in a 3 bedroom flat in Glasgow. It is timber framed and four years old. The flat above (as well as ours) has chipboard flooring in the lounge and hall with a lacquered oak wooden floor 'secret nailed' straight onto the chipboard. This 'extra' was fitted by the original developer who is now out of business. The impact noise from this has always been present but has now become excrutiating as his girlfriend has also now moved in. I didn't realise, it could be so stressful. :cry:

He is a good neighbour and recognises the stress that the impact noise is causing. The problem is, is that he has just lost his job and is no position financially to do anything about it. It looks like I will have to fork out for some peace and quiet. He will allow me to have a tradesman access his flat and the plan, if practical, is to lift the floor and fit some kind of underlay before replacing the floor.

As a novice, I would appreciate some advice on how best to do this. Is an underlay practical and can it be fitted without having to nail the floor down again? Looking through some of the threads on here, 'Elastilon' has been mentioned. Is this a practical route to go down, or is there an alternative? Can the floor be lifted without damaging it? All advice will be greatfully received as I have yet to commission the work. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to recommend rugs or carpets really - the nailed floor won't come up without a fight or damage, and it won't go down again without gaps if its floating.
If its really that bad, I'd seriously think about losing it altogether, if thats possible.
John :)

Hi John,

I'm not sure how he would take to losing his wooden floor although carpets could be the ultimate answer, I suppose, but it is a very large flat. Can you explain what you mean by 'floating'floor'. The wood is straight onto the chipboard and apaprently under that, it is a floating floor. Is that what you mean?

Would carpet and underlay on top of the wooden floor get rid of the impact noise, or would it still remain?

Has anyone lifted a nailed wooden floor and relaid it? :eek:

secret nailing should never happen on chip board as the angle of attack is to the weakest direction and will just flake the top with a little wear and tear
removing the wood may badly damage the flooring so best try carpeting as suggested above unless you can afford to take the risk off having to replace chipboard as well :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to recommend rugs or carpets really - the nailed floor won't come up without a fight or damage, and it won't go down again without gaps if its floating. The floor should have been conditioned before the floor covering put down. The wood should also be allowed to climates to the temperature in the room it is going to be laid. Thanks for sharing.

I'd be inclined to recommend rugs or carpets really - the nailed floor won't come up without a fight or damage, and it won't go down again without gaps if its floating. The floor should have been conditioned before the floor covering put down. The wood should also be allowed to climates to the temperature in the room it is going to be laid. Thanks for sharing.

The update is that my neighbour has now agreed to have decent underlay and carpets laid on top of his floor. That should kill most of the impact noise, although it will cost me a couple of grand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back