wooden front door splitting in places?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House front wooden door. Is splitting in 4 pannells. They could have been there a while. Guessing its nothing to worry about (hopefully) but whats going on.
Inside pic and outside.
IMG_20220815_183555542.jpg
IMG_20220830_160404501.jpg

Sponsored Links
The panels are supposed to always be slightly loose. This allows them to move with changes in the weather. What has probably happened is that some of the lacquer or paint being applied to the door has been allowed to run into the groove where it has set, effectively glueing the panel into the groove in a couple of places. In all probability in the recent warm, dry weather the panel has shrunk more than the rails above and below it (timber moves far more across the grain than it does in the length) - and unable to break the "glue bond" has eventually split

Maybe the bottom panell that is splitting should be a worry though, if it continues up and left it could be easily forced inwards.. Any thoughts appreciated.
IMG_20220830_170218939.jpg
gh.
IMG_20220815_183600993.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are the beads pinned (i.e. a traditional door) ate sre they machine worked on both sides of the door. Knowing how old the door/property is can help date the door

I'd say that's a modern door (i.e.younger than me) with "worked" mouldings (i.e the rails and stiles are machined with both the beadings) which makes a repair more complex. Basically the inner beads need to be removed and tidied up, the panels removed and glued and clamped together, and the panels returned to the door, then new loose beads need to be cut to size and fitted. Not a complex job, but requires competence with hand tools as it can't really be done with power tools. How many panels are split?

3 panels. Would imagine from what you saying is the others might do the same eventually.
Iv'e got a carenter who is going to adjust the door as it sticks a bit in wnter. He has so much work on but will contact me when he has time. Will show him as after what you say would best to get proffesional. When contacts ill mention the above. Thanks

My old door did that. Exposed to direct sun and rain, so used to go extremes hot/cold and damp/dry.

I filled the splits with mastic. I would not faff about trying to fix it, it will likely split somewhere else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back