Wooden garden seating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd ask on here for advice to see if my idea could become a reality, or whether I should just go out and buy a ready made one instead!

I'm wanting to make an outdoor corner seating area in our sunken patio.

I've seen these wicker style modular sofas that are all the fashion at the moment and like the idea of those but really want something more substantial (& individual).

So I was thinking something along the lines of making wooden seating boxes (like a sofa base) and getting foam pieces cut to fit on top.

One sofa would be 2.4m, the other 3m (that meet in the corner to form an L-shape sofa)- and I thought a depth of around 85cm. (The measurements are similar to a corner suite in the house so should be comfortable).

The idea I had was to use treated decking boards (smooth side out) for the outside, and some sort of OSB for the seat (to hold cushions and the weight of the loungers!)

My question really is, does this seem do-able? And if so what sort/size of wood should the internal framework be made out of ?

open to ideas!

thanks

ellgee

Sponsored Links
sorry to have to bounce this one, but I'd like to get cracking on this work, this weekend, so if anyone can offer advice it would be appreciated.

thanks

You would be better off using the decking under the padded seats, with a small 6mm gap between boards it will dry out quicker after rain and will still support the foam.

Some treated 3x2 would be OK for the framework.

Jason

n554176855_1895621_2836.jpg

n554176855_1895622_7005.jpg

I used IPE hardwood decking for my seating.
I hired a compound mitre saw for the weekend and did this in a few hours.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the advice - well we finally got the job done - only a couple of years after first thinking of it!

Here's a pic of the finished seating - just need to get some covers made for the sponge and some scatter cushions for along the back. Lovely!

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back