Wooden Worktop 'return'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to clad the end of an island unit with the same worktop that sits on top of it and to try and achive this by cutting the ends of the top and sides at 45 degrees. How would I go about this? The alternative is to just have the sides but up against the bottom of the top but I don't think this would look as good. The worktop will be 40mm oak.

Sponsored Links
Dont do it.
Dont mitre the end panels to the surface w/t.
Allow the end panels to butt up leaving the w/t with a small overhang of say 15mm - 18mm.
Or, allow the w/t to run long and round off the corners to prevent people catching on squared off w/t corners.

FWIW: fix the end panels from inside the units.

i agree a miter is very very difficult and you need a saw with just under 60mm cutting capacity at 45% bevel/miter
this will be depth cut minus around 30-45%
this all depend on the pivot point and how much the blade lifts away from the base plate as it pivots

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, I had already mostly convinced myself that it was too difficult to do since I couldn't find a saw that would have the required depth at 45 deg but you've pushed me over the edge. Out of interest why is the advice not to do it - purely technical challenge of achieving the cut or something else.

Thanks for the suggestion of the half blind dovetail - far outside my competence and I don't have the patience to practice!

Maybe you could do it with a router in a couple of passes?

Nozzle

Thanks for the suggestion of the half blind dovetail - far outside my competence and I don't have the patience to practice!

Measure carefully and send the job out to a bench joinery shop. They'll whizz along the enges with a router and a jig.

Thanks, I had already mostly convinced myself that it was too difficult to do since I couldn't find a saw that would have the required depth at 45 deg but you've pushed me over the edge. Out of interest why is the advice not to do it - purely technical challenge of achieving the cut or something else.

Even if you achieve a perfect mitre the natural oak top will move and you end up with one edge poking out over the other.

I'm looking to clad the end of an island unit with the same worktop that sits on top of it and to try and achive this by cutting the ends of the top and sides at 45 degrees. How would I go about this? The alternative is to just have the sides but up against the bottom of the top but I don't think this would look as good. The worktop will be 40mm oak.

Why don't you buy blank doors matching your kitchen and clad with those?

I'm reading the OP as solid oak on the top and side. Would the joining method and end result not be similar to what this guy did?

Enjoy.:D

Last edited:
There's no reason not to do it if you've got the kit.
Done it several times, you need either a table or radial arm saw really to cut the mitre accurately then biscuit and glue the joints clamping with sash clamps

As above, dont do it - a keen mitred edge and sharp corners on an Island unit arrangement could easily wear/fray and perhaps splinter, and if you have kids, sharp corners are a definite no no.

FWIW: its a simple matter to cut mitres in that kind of material with a clamped straight edge and a circular saw.
Not necessary but DeWalt make an excellent guide rail set-up.

The first time I attempted this was using the festool and it didn't quite work out, not sure why, but I ended up putting it through my mates table saw and it worked fine. You shouldn't get any splintering and I have always very slightly rounded the arris with fine sandpaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back