WOODSTAIN REMOVAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having read through the questions and answers page, you all seem to be a highly intelligent and helpful lot so .......can anyone please tell me how to get woodstain/wood varnish out of a flourescent yellow jacket?!
Many thanks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Yep, that was my response too when 'im indoors gave it to me to sort out!!! But apparently, his employers are a bit too budget orientated to do that!! Have to try to remove the damage first, then if it's not possible to do that, you have to fill in a pad of paperwork explaining how, where and why you managed to get varnish on your clothing, so that by the time you retire, you might then receive a new one! (Cheaper than a watch I suppose.)

Depends what sort of woodstain/varnish it is.

If water-based,then water - traditional varnishes are resinous-type in a solvent solution,so can normally be cleaned by whatever the original solvent was.
Some are in toluene,some in acetone etc.

Nail varnish remover is normally acetone-based - may be worth trying that first.

Sponsored Links
Nail varnish remover is normally acetone-based - may be worth trying that first.
Carefull, some Flourescent Yellow jackets are soluble in Acetone :LOL:

didyk said:
:LOL: Yep, that was my response too when 'im indoors gave it to me to sort out!!! But apparently, his employers are a bit too budget orientated to do that!! Have to try to remove the damage first, then if it's not possible to do that, you have to fill in a pad of paperwork explaining how, where and why you managed to get varnish on your clothing, so that by the time you retire, you might then receive a new one! (Cheaper than a watch I suppose.)

Employers cannot pass the buck with PPE clothing, as it is a requirement of The Health and Safety at Work Act.

Taken from the HSE website:

How should protective clothing be taken care of?

Separate accommodation should be provided for personal and protective clothing. This might be in the form of separate rooms, separate lockers or split lockers.
Protective clothing should be kept in the accommodation provided when not in use. It should not be left in the workroom.
Personal clothing which is not being worn, such as an overcoat, should be kept in the separate accommodation to prevent it from being contaminated.
Protective and personal clothing should never be kept in the same accommodation.
Overalls should be washed or changed at least once a week; employers should arrange for this to be done.
If protective clothing is damaged, employees should report it to supervision so that it can be repaired or replaced.
Spare overalls should be available to cover times when other overalls are being washed or repaired.

Click Here

If normal washing cannot remove the stain, then it is the responsiblity of the employer to replace the damaged safety equipment WITHOUT DELAY

You will see that the page refers to a certain trade, however the employers responsiblities are the same throughout the workplace, as regards to PPE Clothing.

Salem.

I remembered if you wash the coat, the wax coating which make it waterproof would be removed so won't make it rainproof.

I think the emplyer should provide clothing to protect the protective clothing. Either that, or stipulate that, the protective clothing should not be worn in hazardous areas. Somewhat defeats the whole exercise of providing it in the first place though :confused:

Next time buy an orange one. Not that it is resistant to woodstain, but a mate of mine assures me that they don't attract wasps so readily as yellow ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back