Woodworm Treatment / Guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had an infestation of woodworm re-treated free of charge under the terms of a 30 year guarantee issued in 1987. The firm in question are unwilling to provide written "acknowledgement" that this work has been carried out. They simply say that the remainder of the term of the original guarantee is still valid. This may well be standard practice but I am concerned by a number issues.

1. Should we sell the property in the near future (as we plan to do), presumably there will still be evidence of infestation but no (written) evidence that this has been treated.

2. The work that was carried out was presumably to the same standard as work that would come with a long guarantee. No further guarantee has been issued.

3. I will have to honestly provide this information in the property questionnaire as part of the new Home Report coming into force in Scotland on 1st December. Again, I will have no evidence to provide.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
arild - what recent treatment? :evil: There's no evidence that any's been done.

We have the 30 year guarantee documents from 1987. The firm re-treated this year (August), free, under the guarantee. It is this re-treatment that they refuse to provide documentary evidence for.

We discovered beetles in the loft this summer and they identified them as woodworm and came and had a look and agreed to treat for free as it was still within the 30 year guarantee.

arild - my comment refers to when you're answering the questionnaire - don't mention the call-back. All you declare is that there's a 30 yr guarantee.

Sponsored Links
arild - "...but there will be evidence of recent infestation !" How? Not unless you tell 'em. So don't. By the time you sell any chemical smell will have gone and any wet look from the spraying will have dried, so it won't be apparant that any work's been done.

For Info: Reply from ConsumerDirect:

"Based on the information you have provided I would advise if the work has been carried out under a guarantee/warranty the trader is not obliged to have to provide paperwork which states this has been done, and there is no requirement that any further guarantee is provided - the guarantee is only from the date of the original work.
I can appreciate the concerns regarding possible issues arising in the event of a future sale of the property, however there would be no legislation I can advise of which would require the trader to provide the paperwork you are looking for.
You could make a request in writing and see if they would be willing to provide this for an admin charge etc . but they would not be obliged to do so.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number.

Thank you for your enquiry."

IIRC when beetle treatment is done, the existing ones will still live and hatch but will not lay new larvea - so its not like a fly spray that kills them dead straight away. And they may hatch for quite a few months after treatment.

If you want paperwork, offer to pay for it

As with any work under warranty, the remedial work only is only warrantied for the original guarantee period. But what many people tend to forget, is that there may still be opportunities to claim for negligent work under latent defects - which is six years from when the problem was discovered not completed

You should answer any pre-sale questions honestly - but it's not a test ... if you don't know or are not sure, then say that.

In reality, you would decorate/fill/gloss over/cover up etc etc anything like this before putting it on the market :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back