Wool under gas fire coals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get our gas fire serviced, as it hasn't been used in over a year, and has been subject to a lot of dust, however we thought we'd get some new coals etc for it.

Underneath the coals, there is some sort of wool across the whole fire. At first I thought it was that stuff the simulate glowing embers, but it looks like some sort of gas dissipation system.

Does anyone know what it's called? I'd like to buy some more as this looks like its seen better days.

If anyone is interested in what the fire is, it says Magiglo on the control dial, but that's the only marker on it. This is what it looks like:
wZrdbA4.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I suggest you employ services of a gas engineer who is qualified to work on fires (not all are)

Looking at the fire I can visualise issues and requirements that you will probably be unaware of.

Keep it safe, fire like this can kill

Would suggest coal like you have, are authentic looking instead of jet black lumps you will be purchasing.

I'm going to get our gas fire serviced, as it hasn't been used in over a year, and has been subject to a lot of dust, however we thought we'd get some new coals etc for it.

Underneath the coals, there is some sort of wool across the whole fire. At first I thought it was that stuff the simulate glowing embers, but it looks like some sort of gas dissipation system.

Does anyone know what it's called? I'd like to buy some more as this looks like its seen better days.

If anyone is interested in what the fire is, it says Magiglo on the control dial, but that's the only marker on it. This is what it looks like:
wZrdbA4.jpg
http://www.magiglo.co.uk/

Your fire may predate the ownership by Burley, but look behind the ash pan cover and you should find a data badge with some numbers. Write all these down before phoning and they may help. The Customer Service manger is Chris Astley Jones. Good guy.

You'll need to buy the coals from Magiglo as well - they are most likely a specific set for that fire, many have very specific placement requirements in the instructions and so you can't just go on eBay and lob some generic ones on, as it could cause the fire to burn incorrectly, sending carbon monoxide into your room

Sponsored Links
The coals can probably be washed under warm water.

I cannot see any advantage in buying new ones.

But as said, they should be placed by an engineer in accordance with the maker's instructions.

Tony

The coals can probably be washed under warm water.

I cannot see any advantage in buying new ones.

But as said, they should be placed by an engineer in accordance with the maker's instructions.

Tony

agile, coals must be removed and inspected for any damage which looking at the state of that thing I would suggest they could well do with being replaced.

As suspected, the fire got decommissioned.

It's a 20 year old Magiglo that's a permanent fixture, rather than the new type with the lugs etc. Chair brick was cracked and the pilot assembly was blocked and not able to pas along gas to the thermocouple. Once you've taken in labour and parts to fit the new bits and bobs, I might as well have bought a new fire.

They've quoted us £120 to fit a new one, so just need to find a decent open flue gas fire now to fit a 16" x 22" opening.

Can anyone make any recommendations on some brands to go for and some to not go for?

Last edited:
Don't like the sound of what's happening with your grandparents' fire. Have they had the manufacturers out to investigate? It should normally be fine to leave a pilot on permanently.

If you want to avoid Kinder et al you're going to be quite limited - Verine are good but are ultimately the same company as Kinder, as are Flavel.

Stovax/Gazco are well worth a look, as are Crystal fires

Don't like the sound of what's happening with your grandparents' fire. Have they had the manufacturers out to investigate? It should normally be fine to leave a pilot on permanently.

If you want to avoid Kinder et al you're going to be quite limited - Verine are good but are ultimately the same company as Kinder, as are Flavel.

Stovax/Gazco are well worth a look, as are Crystal fires

They literally just called me about something else and I asked them. After about 5 visits, turns out it had been installed wrong. All fixed now!!

So ignore that and based off your reply, Kinder/Flavel and Stovax/Gazco are some of the best brands to take a look at. Anything I need to know or things to look for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back