Gas Fire has cotton wool stuff under coals - is this okay ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents can anyone reassure me before I lightit up.

We moved into a new house a few months back and now its getting colder I wanted to check out the gas fire in the lounge. I removed all the coals intending to give it a hoover out first and then replace them and turn it on. BUT I have seen a thick layer of cotton wool type stuff under the coals !!!

Is this correct ?

My old house had a gas fire and we never had cotton wool under the coals

Please help - the misses is getting chilly :)

TIA

Sponsored Links
its a normal jetmaster gas fire

will try and add a pic but its just a really bog standard one

Sponsored Links
If you want see what it should look like go to www.bfm-europe.com click on user manuals and installation guides on right hand side. When new screen comes up put your fire details in and have a look in installation instructions

but Jetmaster isnt listed on that site

surely someone on here has come across this before ????

ive seen similar material on another fire. its there instead of vermiculite to distribute the gas around the burner in a supposedly even way.

put the coals back on in the correct order according to the manufacturers instructions, do your mandatory checks and buy an audible COD.

if you cant do any of those then dont use the fire until you have it checked by someone who can.

Its the stuff that makes it look like embers, mine has it. I got a bag of it with the fire.

Thanks guys - so I can just put the coals back on and light it then ?

still seems weird looks like itll burn to a cinder immediately :D

Its wont burn it glows, it should be placed at the front & in little balls between logs/coals. You may have to play around with it to get the effect

Its wont burn it glows, it should be placed at the front & in little balls between logs/coals. You may have to play around with it to get the effect

Its not in little balls -see my picture above it is literally completely all over the tray the coals sit in. Totally covered like cotton wool

HELPPPPPP :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back