Worcerster 240, time to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just sold my house, and the new buyers are questioning the age of our boiler.

(it was installed in 1993 and is a Worcester 240)

The boiler is services every year by British gas but seems to be getting less efficient.

The radiators now get hot when the hot water tap is on, and is the water is hotter when the central heating is on. Which leads me to believe that the diversion valve is dodgy?

So when I mentioned it to the British gas technician he just said it was quite old & spares were very difficult to obtain, and sort of shrugged off my question about the valve.

So should I just replace the boiler before I see, (not wanting to really spend money if I’m moving)

Or should I get a second opinion.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Spence

Sponsored Links
I have just sold my house, and the new buyers are questioning the age of our boiler.

As it is sold the decision about boiler update / repair / something else is in the hands of the new owner. By all means tells them how old it is but then it is up to them to decide.

If he was servicing the boiler he would not be prepared to carry out repairs at the same time. If you call them out & tell them you think it needs the diverter valve repairing or replacing ( it's usually just the diaphragm that has failed ) they will come & do it as a separate visit.

Sponsored Links

(it was installed in 1993 and is a Worcester 240)

The boiler is services every year by British gas but seems to be getting less efficient.

The radiators now get hot when the hot water tap is on, and is the water is hotter when the central heating is on. Which leads me to believe that the diversion valve is dodgy?

So when I mentioned it to the British gas technician he just said it was quite old & spares were very difficult to obtain, and sort of shrugged off my question about the valve.

So should I just replace the boiler before I see, (not wanting to really spend money if I’m moving)

Or should I get a second opinion.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Spence

I have same one 240RSF, diverter valve is easy to purchase and will fix the problem, boiler i have is very good but due a change as over 18 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back