Worcester 12/18 ran out of oil. Bled but will not restart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Nans Worcester 12/18 ran out of oil and I did the following after the tank was filled to the brim.

1) Removed the bleed nut and nothing, not a drop.

2) Removed the flexible feed hose and nothing there either, even when dropped in a bucket at ground level it only gave a few drips.

3) Sucked on it (and got a taste for my trouble) and it started to stop and start into the bucket. After a litre or so it ran cleanly so I am happy the air is out. Thumb over the end lift it up and connect it quick.

4) Now when I slacken the bleed nut and it runs out fine now so I am happy the line is now primed and fuel is back running through the pump inlet.

5) Press the lockout button, it buzzes away and after a few seconds locks out again. Done this half a few times and nothing.

6) Loosened the outlet pipe to the burner and that is still bone dry even when it is buzzing away after you reset the lockout.

Either the pump has died when it ran dry or there is another trip somewhere. Any ideas would be gratefully received...

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Point 5 - when you say buzzes away for a few seconds, do you mean exactly that, or can you hear the motor spin and the buzz is the electrodes sparking? For about 15-20 seconds?

Thanks for the response.

When I press the lockout button the lights flash orange and green and the motor kicks in for 15 seconds. You can feel the small vibration of the motor in the pump body.

Then the light flashes green and green for 5 seconds and I believe the ignitor is firing because the sound noticeably changes so something extra is definately happening.

It then fails to start and locks out again.

This morning I have cut up a bottle to form a catch tray and routed it into a bucket. I opened the bleed nut and took a litre of clean oil with no air out so I am pretty sure there is no air lock in the oil feed now.

After that I disconnected the outlet pipe and tried again and there is nothing, not a single drop coming out of this pump. Even tried it when I press the lockout button and that pump is making a noise but it isn't pumping oil.

I have read there is a filter inside the pump. Is there and is it worth a clean given that anything could have been on the bottom of the tank?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Does the solenoid coil energise? You can test it by putting a screw driver on it and you'll feel the pull.

I will check it tomorrow. I take it the solenoid is under the plastic cover on the far side of the pump? Thanks again.

+1. If oil is coming out of the bleed port, it is passing any internal filter.

Thanks Oilhead, that rules out a blocked filter then. Given there is zero coming out of the pump that is spinning I suspect the issue is a closed solenoid. Patience is a virtue they say...

OK I can see the solenoid drawn on the pump on the side that has a plastic cover over it. I will pop it off tomorrow and check if there is pull and then check the voltage and resistance if not. Thanks again all....

Check the four king oil pressure.

Check it where mate? Before the pump it is just gravity and the tank is only a few inches higher than the pump so it is next to nowt and at the outlet in is actually nowt. Sorry if I am missing something...

Last edited:
What burner do you have? Voltage at the coil may not be 240v. There is a pressure port on the pump to which you fix a pressure gauge to measure the pressure of the pump to the nozzle. Call in a technician. A good one will have the parts to sort you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back